cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 4 is out

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Firefox 4 is out

Even old extensions will work if you disable compatibility check although I have not tried It myself Cheesy
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran

Old extensions *may* work if you disable the compatibility check.
Or they may fail.
Or they may appear to work, yet create subtle problems.
Best to stick with extensions known to work.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well only one of mine says Its not compatible so I'm sticking with FF 3.6.16 for now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

At least under Ubuntu/Mint/etc you can revert easily (Synaptic select package and press ctrl-E and choose version) now back running 3.6.16 that arrived this morning anyway.  Wink
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Steve M, I don't like Firefox to start with, for day to day stuf I still use Internet Explorer v6 in Sandboxie, but for some sites I use Firefox running in Sandboxie as well.
Wiith Firefox 3.6.16 I can get it to look like Netscape Navigator, I can not do that with Firefox 4, plus with Firefox 3.6.16 I know where Firefox add-ons are and some other stuff is, but with Firefox 4 I am lost.
One of the main reasons that I do not like Firefox I do not know how to back up the Bookmarks, I do know how with Netscape Navigator v4.7, plus I do know how to back up Favorites in Internet Explorer v6, that is just one of the things that I do not like with Firefox.
It is the same with other Browsers, I stik with wat I know, I know Internet Explorer v6 is out of date but I am sticking with it!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

There Is something's you have pointed out there Gary we can help you with, Up to yourself though If your up for It or happy as you are?
Community Veteran

Gary, if you need any help with Firefox or Thunderbird the best source I've found is:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/
They are very knowledgeable and very quick to reply.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Gary saving your bookmarks Is dead easy with something like this...http://www.xmarks.com/
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks artmo and Steve M, I will have a look at them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Just hit a problem.
I was placing an on line order and no security padlock so changed to IE and it showed it
A bit of digging found this https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Site%20Identity%20Button
Community Veteran

So does this take the place of the padlock?
Community Veteran

apparently so and it includes two levels
Blue - which appears to be equivalent to the padlock
Green - which is enhanced security
When the Site Identity button is green, that indicates that the site provides fully verified identity information about its owner, and that the connection is encrypted.
If a site makes the Site Identity Button turn green, it means that it is using a new Extended Validation (EV) certificate. An EV certificate is a special type of site certificate that requires a significantly more rigorous identity verification process than other types of certificates. While the blue Site Identity Button indicates that a site uses a secure connection, the green Site Identity Button indicates that the connection is secure and that the owners of the domain are who you would expect them to be.
With the EV certificate, the Site Identity Button assures you that paypal.com is owned by Paypal Inc., for example. Not only does the Site Identity Button turn green on the Paypal site, it also expands and displays the name of the owner in the button itself. The Site Identification dialog contains further information.
Just checked a few banking sites and this is what the login screen for the Halifax shows
Community Veteran

And I have just installed this theme https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-3-theme-for-firefox/ to make FF4 look like FF3 so that I can read the text and icons easier - using Windows 7 - it is a big improvement
Fixes: 250

Interesting that LloydsTSB shows blue Undecided
Does that mean that the Halifax site is more secure than the LloydsTSB site Undecided

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 67.0.4 (64-bit)

It's a Reliant Robin NOT a Robin Reliant.
Community Veteran

I'm still using FF 3.6.16.  Just visited Paypal and their box next to the URL bar is green.  When I click it I am told it is verified by Verisign Undecided