cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 4 is out

Community Veteran

Re: Firefox 4 is out

Sorry, Chromium is the browser I use, not Chrome.
But you did just remind me there are two versions, and I just downloaded and installed Chrome, it's working great.  Looks like Chromium is heading for the sin bin for a while until some other update fixes whatever the problem is.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I thought chromium would of been more stable, Strange, Glad you got something sorted out for now at least.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I wouldn't rush to update. Some add-ons, including those from security companies, are not yet available for Firefox 4.
For example Rapport and Norton Internet Security
"Does Rapport support Firefox 4?
Unfortunately Rapport currently does not support Firefox 4. Firefox 4 is currently in a Released Candidate version. Once Firefox 4 Stable version is released, a supporting version of Rapport will be developed."
http://www.trusteer.com/support/faq/supported-platforms
I thought that the idea of release candidates was to enable development BEFORE final release!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Kaspersky URL checker and anti banner don't work
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 118

FF4 has been my browser of choice both at home (Win7x64) and at work (WinXPx86) for the last few months. I get a lot of use out of the App Tab and Panorama features which both accommodate the way I work really well.
Quote from: Oldjim
i didn't check how much the old version uses but this seems to start at 60MB and go up to about 150MB with a load of tabs open - given that I have 4GB of Ram that doesn't really bother me

Currently using a smidgen above 332MB and that's with four App Tabs open and 7 Panoramas equalling no no less than 32 tabs in total!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Trying it out but, a list of apps not compatible with shown before installation (interestingly two were FF add-on's!!) What it didn't say is that it removed Rapport that I use for internet banking security.
So doing a quick system restore.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Now that was a serious mistake. System Restore, since FF 4 had removed the earlier version had nothing to restore. This resulted in er! nothing at all when the FF icon was clicked.
Beware, if you don't like FF4 do not use SR to retrieve the older version.
Fortunately, I had the earlier version on another computer and am currently able to run FF (earlier) on this PC from a DVD copy, which runs it exactly as it was including the add-on's (ReminderFox for instance) exactly as they were.
Whilst typing this I have had the update pop-up for FF4, I will not be installing it just yet...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Smiley
Dabbler

Smiley I just upgraded to FF4 and I've not noticed that much of a diference ('sept now my facebook chat notification noise doesn't work, and the tabs are in the wrong place)
Still...early days and all that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

just upgraded to FF4 and am impressed with the additional features,
considering it's a free program or have I got that wrong ? I Know it's free to the user but someone must pay somewhere ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
I Know it's free to the user but someone must pay somewhere ?
Some (but not that much) really is created for free by people who volunteer their time.
Most of the rest is developed by staff paid for by the Mozilla Foundation, who raise most of their money from Google who pay Mozilla for searches done from FF's search box on Google.
It has been noted by a few people that Google in effect pay for two of the worlds main browsers.
edit: spelling correction.
Fixes: 250

I've just switched from Chrome to Firefox 4. I was waiting for an opportune moment and the release of version 4 provided it.
I like it so far particularly the ability to install RSS Ticker.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 67.0.4 (64-bit)

It's a Reliant Robin NOT a Robin Reliant.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

To revert from Firefox 4 you can download and install Firefox 3.6.16 from here
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
Community Veteran

Thanks for that alanf. Running FF3.6 from a DVD was getting to be a long-winded pain. As soon as FF4 sorts out banking Rapport I will upgrade as otherwise I was quite happy with it.
Found afterwards, if you don't like FF4, there's a far better way to revert to 3.6...right click the icon, there's a revert to earlier versions option. Was too late for me though.
All Ok now though, except all the navigation bar icons have rearranged themselves

Community Veteran

I'm glad I read this thread before installing.  I'll wait a while until it settles down I think.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

i don't know if it is related but autologin to my account was disabled