cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 4 is out

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Firefox 4 is out

https://www.mozilla.com/en-GB/products/download.html?product=firefox-4.0&os=win&lang=en-GB
Just starting playing with it - the first thing I did was to move the tabs back to the usual position
77 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Firefox 4 is out

I tried It last night, Don't like It under windows, Uses a lot of ram.
Community Veteran

i didn't check how much the old version uses but this seems to start at 60MB and go up to about 150MB with a load of tabs open - given that I have 4GB of Ram that doesn't really bother me
Steve
Pro

Its probably just me getting really moody with windows lately, I had two tabs open and all In was nearly hitting 1GB ram, Under linux I barely hit 512MB, I have 3GB Ram which Is fine for me, I'm back using Linux now though.
I do like how the new FF tells you how much cache your actually using.
Community Veteran

where is that
Steve
Pro

Now your asking LOL, I think Its under the advanced section, The bit where you can check off how Firefox connects to the web, Firefox updates, Add on updates etc, I think!! Cant remember exactly.
James
Grafter

How quick is it compared to Chrome?
The only reason I'm *not* using Firefox is that I found it really slow, especially the amount of time it took to open first thing in the morning.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Steve
Now your asking LOL, I think Its under the advanced section, The bit where you can check off how Firefox connects to the web, Firefox updates, Add on updates etc, I think!! Cant remember exactly.
Found it thanks
Steve
Pro

Certainly boots up a bit faster jameseh and gets you where you want to go, I would say Its close to the speed of chrome, Close..
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
The only reason I'm *not* using Firefox is that I found it really slow, especially the amount of time it took to open first thing in the morning.
I also find this, James, but it's fine for rest of the day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

So is it still leaking memory or not? - I had FF grind several computers to a halt years ago it would take up so much ram and frankly that was my reason for switching to seamonkey.
Chrome was also just as bad when I tried the initial beta.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

I also find this, James, but it's fine for rest of the day.

That's exactly my experience too.  Sometimes I wonder if it is because I use a number of addons.  It isn't really a problem because for the rest of the day I just hibernate the laptop with FF loaded.
If Chrome was more configurable then it might be an option but I can't do without my menu bar.  Will not be changing to FF4 until I have to.
Community Veteran

Well it looks like I am now forced to use FF, my main browser has up until today been Chrome (although I tend to have both loaded) but as of an update today, Chrome hangs on all flash, video, animated gifs, in fact any image or anything image like that isn't totally static.
I'm fresh out of ideas.  Anyone?
Community Veteran

Just tried opening 25 tabs and it was very quick - memory usage went up to 450MB  and then as I closed them memory dropped back in a few seconds
I haven't noticed memory leak in the past though
Steve
Pro

Quote from: fourfourdevon
Well it looks like I am now forced to use FF, my main browser has up until today been Chrome (although I tend to have both loaded) but as of an update today, Chrome hangs on all flash, video, animated gifs, in fact any image or anything image like that isn't totally static.
I'm fresh out of ideas.  Anyone?
This Is why under Linux you should not use Chrome but Instead use Chromium. Wink