cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 13 is out

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Firefox 13 is out

I am not sure I like the new Tab page system  but I will give it a go.
Basically clicking on the new tab icon gives a full page of thumbnails showing where you went recently so you can just click on one of them
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Firefox-13-released-now-using-SPDY-by-default-1605039.html
Except I get blank thumbnails
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Firefox 13 is out

Oh!, that's weird.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

Ah sure it'll all change again in 14 which will be out in august Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

Out of 9 pages displayed I get 4 blank.
I'd prefer it to be the most recent visited rather than the most visited tabs.
Another change which should make Firefox more responsive is its default tab-reloading behaviour. In earlier versions of the browser when restarting a session with open tabs, Firefox would attempt to load the contents of all the tabs. This could lead to a very slow restart when there were many open tabs, and many password dialogs popping up if those pages were password protected. There were options to tell it not to do that and to only reload the tabs when the user clicked on them to make them visible, but now the Mozilla developers have chosen to make this the default behaviour. The one downside with this new feature is that users will have to manually view all of their tabs to reload them when they reopen a session, which, depending on the number of tabs, could be tedious.

This I prefer for, as mentioned previously in another FF thread, I often have over 30 tabs open sometimes in more than one window. Re-opening these (especially after FF had crashed) caused quite a delay from clicking on it's task bar icon to being able to view sites. Then I'd just get to the tab I wanted when it'd flip to one that required a password. Having said that I had noticed that some tabs still never refreshed (displayed) until I actually selected them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Half of the time the only reason I'm opening a new tab is so that I can close the current tab!  Angry
Community Veteran

I'm still on FF 12.01.  Tried to update but getting message saying try again later - server maintenance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Except I get blank thumbnails

Likewise Huh
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Browse to about:config and you can change the browser.newtab.url attribute to a webpage of your choice (or a blank page if you prefer).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Or set browser.newtabpage.enabled to false.
Community Veteran

I've now managed to update and rather like the thumbnails  - and they're not blank as some others have found. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've got a weirdie with this. I normally have it set to reopen my previous tabs.
This still does it, BUT doesn't "visit" the tabs until I click on them, resulting in a delay in opening each url rather than load them all at the start.
Fixes: 125

I prefer this way as mentioned in my post above.
Can't find an option to revert back to the previous method; my quote stated that this was the
default tab-reloading behaviour
which leads me to believe there is a setting somewhere to change this.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

there is a block in the top right of the new page, click that and  it hides the rubbish - dont know if it still loads then
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

OK after a quick try of chrome again (ok but POOR download control - no auto save in different folders etc) back to FF 13 (on Mint 13 Cheesy)
Just found the option to load the tabs on start - Under Preferences  Undecided Last place I looked  Angry Why disable it by default? Leave things the way we have them setup FF team!