Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FireFox problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

FireFox problem

Anyone else had this I wonder:
Blank web pages appearing in spite that the URL status said loading was "done" (if you have that particular FF add-on)
This did not effect all pages for instance PN Community opened normally, but any forum selected was blank. PN Member Centre was normal but BB Speedtest was blank. My initial thoughts were that PN were having a problem, but a trawl through my bookmark list found around 1/3 to 1/2 of the sites were coming up blank the remainder being normal.
A penny dropped when I remembered that this issue seemed to follow a brief earlier in the day un-requested interference from FF "Speedfox" add-on. Speedfox was deleted (not disabled) from the add-on list...no more problem.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: FireFox problem

PS. Ironically, since the deletion of SpeedFox web browsing has become decidedly quicker.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Razer
Grafter

I don't and never have used this addon you talk about. I do, however, occasionally get blank pages.
Community Veteran

Nor did I think I had, I never asked for or intentionally installed SpeedFox, it just "appeared. I suppose it might have installed by failing to untick a box when installing or updating something else, Java updates are rather fond of that sort of thing. You might check if you've got it though. Quickest way, check the drop down list of search engines if its there it probably sneaked in behind your back.

Razer
Grafter

I definitely don't have it. I can't think where you might have got it from. Very annoying either way, eh? Finding things on your system you didn't ask for.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can any one tell me why sites fink that I am using Internet Explorer v6 when I am using FireFox v18.0.2 ?
I tried removing FireFox, then reinstalling it and still getting the same problem.
Plus I am getting the same problem with FlashPeak SlimBrowser, any one know why this is happening ?
The only Browser that it does not happen with is Google Chrome what I hate, and I do hate it!
Oh I forgot I do have Internet Explorer v6 on my computer, I can not upgrade it to Internet Explorer v8 it causes problems so 8 is out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I'm sure there's at least one add-on that gives you the ability to change the user agent string.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If it's not an add-on that's doing it, then stick in the location bar
about:config
and search for "useragent". See if anything comes up regarding Exploder v6
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@ejs, There is no add-on
@RPMozley, There is no reference to Internet Explorer v6 in the list.
Thank you both
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Try http://whatsmyuseragent.com/
I get
Your User Agent String is:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Your IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(That's firefox 18.0.2)

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Your User Agent String is:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows ME) Opera 7.11 [en]
Your IP Address:  xx.xx.xxx.xx

Huh
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Do you even have Opera installed? Huh
Anyway, the only other thing that could possibly change your UA string is some sort of security software. Maybe an idea to check on what you have.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

No I don't have Opera installed, installed is:
Mozilla Firefox v18.0.2
Internet Explorer v6
FlashPeak SlimBrowser
Google Chrome
And that's it!