Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire precautions at home.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Fire precautions at home.

With yet another house fire, possibly arson, in the News, makes one aware of just how dangerous and speedy fire, and deadly smoke, can occur.
I have always kept a hammer and rope in each main bedroom, under the bed, along with a clicky centre punch to use in the corner of double glazed windows, even those that open wide.
Thinking also of some protection from the glass on the floor outside, in the event of having to break a glass window.
Of course, the main protection has to be working Smoke Alarms, and not just the one.
That, and strategically placed Fire Extinguishers.
Along with a non mains powered phone on each floor.
But the first option in many instances, has to be Get Out, Stay Out.

(And yes, I use to be a designated H&S & Fire Officer as a Manager in a large TV Company)
In any business, there has to be at least two means of escape, and if I remember it correctly, no more than two doors to the outside.
25 REPLIES
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Fire precautions at home.

In our house we have a fire extinguisher in the airing cupboard on landing. And a one under the kitchen sink.
Just cost around £20 each.  You never know when it will be needed.  We also have smoke detectors that are mains powered.  And if it is beeping for more than 2 minutes it initiates a call to our local fire dept, and they ring us on mobile and landline to check if everything is okay.
Its better safe than sorry innit
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Smoke and heat rises so we have a smoke alarm at the top of the stairs. It works well there as anything burned in the kitchen will trigger it. From that POV we've done well as we only need the one alarm for the whole place.
Fire is something I'm not keen on so when someone on freecycle offered up fire extinguishers I managed to grab 2 of them. I almost had the full compliment of 3 but he said he had someone else who could use one so I got 2 of them. Now they had expired by a year but these are the real proper ones with pressure needles on them etc. Fire extinguishers don't really loose their pressure - we had another years ago that had expired almost a decade earlier. We decided to get rid of it as we thought it would be useless so I let it off in the garden - wish I hadn't as there was nothing wrong with it lol - almost a decare after expiry (and it was pretty badly rusting too).
One is placed strategically in the bedroom by the door which is right by the top of the landing. It's placed in our room for obvious reasons rather than right by the landing. With all the possible flammables in the bedroom (clothes, bedding etc) it's logical to keep it as near to us as possible. Yes I know they're all mean to be fire retardent etc but seriously, the only other thing on the landing is the toilet and I don't think thats in short supply of water  Cheesy Anyway fire retardent or not I'd prefer not to take the chance.
The other is placed at the bottom of the stairs near the front door. It's there to give us a fighting chance. If there was a fire, the one upstairs would get us down stairs (hopefully) and then there is the next one waiting. The downstairs one is easily accessible to the living room so it's well placed I feel. Then we have a small powder extinguisher above the TV on the opposite end of the living room and finally another small poweder extinguisher under one of the kitchen tops too.
I just hope we never have to use any of them  Lips are sealed
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

I have 2 smoke alarms, one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top......both awaiting battery replacement Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Shame on you ! Although I do have mains powered ones which work, they are coming up for being due for replacement.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I have 2 smoke alarms, one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top

Exactly the same here.
I replaced the old (originally free) ones this year as they were showing signs of being a bit temperamental.
Bought the replacements from Amazon at a good price, taking advantage of their Prime free trial.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

In one of my previous positions in a TV News Crew, I have seen too many fires afterwards, and the utter devastation it bring to property and people.
Thankfully, mostly just property.
And recorded quite a few demonstrations at Fire Brigade HQ's
It is scary just how fast fire spreads, with flashovers, and of course the deadly smoke.
@Strat, please go and buy some batteries for your smoke alarms today.
I use Lithium 9v PP3, they do cost a bit more, but last at least 5 years in a smoke alarm.
Or in a Carbon Monoxide alarm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I wonder how many people are aware that many smoke alarms need to be replaced regularly, because the effectiveness of the sensors degrades.
My smoke alarms have a lifespan of seven years, after which they start emitting a beep pattern indicating replacement is imminent, and then a month later a different beep pattern that alarm replacement is required.

Quote from: picbits
Shame on you ! Although I do have mains powered ones which work, they are coming up for being due for replacement.

I know...I'm doing something about it soon.
I presume you will be replacing with battery powered units as an electrical fire can take out the supply to the current ones Wink
CX
Grafter

The mains powered ones should have a long-life battery inside (non user-replaceable).

So they do Smiley
I like the idea of a toast proof alarm Smiley
Community Veteran

The one I use BEEPs and SHOUTS to say whether it has detected "FIRE ! ... FIRE !" or "WARNING CARBON MONOXIDE !"
It also voice announces "Low Battery !"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-0122UK-Combination-Carbon-Monoxide/dp/B000WH2S9C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qi...

I get pissed off with the smarmy voice on my sat-nav without introducing a nagging smoke alarm into my life.
Community Veteran

At least you can choose which voice to have on your Sat Nav - http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/voices/  Cheesy
Having something shouting "FIRE !  FIRE !" would certainly focus your mind if you were asleep.
In my house, the BEEP alone from a fire alarm alone would not be that different from when we are woken at night when there has been yet another power cut and all my UPSes are BEEPing loudly for attention - when all you want to do is put a pillow over your ears and hope the electricity returns quickly so you can get back to sleep.
Fixes: 125

I must say we are very lax in this area.
We do have a working CO detector as supplied by the landlady but no smoke detectors. Never actually given it much consideration till this thread appeared Embarrassed
As we're actively looking for somewhere new I'll leave things as they are but will invest in any new property unless they are already there and working.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still