cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire alarm beeping

Razer
Grafter

Fire alarm beeping

Mine is really pissing me off. Is it normal for some fire alarms to beep intermittently in hot weather?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Fire alarm beeping

The battery is dead, that beeping is telling you
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah.... change the battery...  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Razer
Mine is really [Censored] me off. Is it normal for some fire alarms to beep intermittently in hot weather?

Yes. In hot weather metal expands. Inside your smokey is lots of little bits of metal. The bigger they are the more current that can flow and so your battery goes flat quicker.
Thats all obviously utter crap I'm talking but yeah.. your battery is dead and the only way to get you to change it is for the thing to nag you. Don't be a muppet and take out the battery, replace it - it could save your life.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

One of my EX alarms intermittent beep was a sign of failure. Doing the usual battery change just gave it more volume.
The intermittent beep is always a sign of something wrong.
But as has been said it's usually the battery.
Unless you have day time TV on then it's probably Dale Winton.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In hot weather there can be more dust and tiny insects around, sensible (careful) use of a hoover nozzle can also assist in reducing nuisance beeps but, as everyone else has said, it's usually a new battery that's required.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. It also beeps when I fill the bath. I'll have to call out the alarm person as I can't change the battery.
Community Veteran

Ours does the same when the bathroom gets steamy.
Actually I'm wrong, thats the old one that used to fall off the top of the cupboard and bounce down the stairs. I've not heard the new one do it yet..
James
Grafter

Bounce down the stairs or beep? Cheesy
Community Veteran

Both  Grin
Razer
Grafter

lol Wish I could bounce mine down the stairs.
Community Veteran

I wish our old one didn't!
It was a really good one.. little emergency light, test / hush button.. yeah it was the dogs! Unfortunately as we don't have any way of fitting it onto the ceiling we put it on top of the sliding door for the cupboard at the top of the stairs. Every other time you'd open / close the thing the smokey would lean to fly  Crazy