cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finger nails

Fixes: 47

Finger nails

The other day I bought some 'Easi-Peel' Oranges.....yeah, if you happen to have finger nails like an Eagle's talons.
I happen to bite my nails and have done as far back as I can remember.
I did at one point stop for a whole month with the prize being a guitar but restarted shortly afterwards.
Does anyone else on here have this particular addiction?
I stopped smoking many years ago and found it easy.
People tell me "if you found that easy why not simply stop nail biting"
My answer is I don't have to go out and buy finger nails, there happen to be with me all the time Roll eyes
Everyone else seems to have good nails and biting makes mine painful at times but I still do it. Cry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
71 REPLIES
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Finger nails

I've never bitten my nails. Just don't understand the attraction; hate it when a nail breaks and I have to cut it right back to skin, especially if it is my nose-picking finger  Roll eyes

Believe me, there is absolutely no attraction and I would love to stop permanently.
My daughter does nails so maybe I can get her to provide me with some artificial ones that taste disgusting.
Community Veteran

I stopped biting mine about 10 years ago.
I still have 'moments' though when there is a raggy bit and I nibble at it to make it smooth again.
A nail file helps though. Instead of biting, pull out the file and tidy them up a bit!
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 125

I've rarely bitten my nails but I do pick at them with the other hand usually when watching TV. Strange that my dad had exactly the same habit. I have seen some people so desperate to bite that it seems that the entire fist is trying to get into their mouths. Not a pretty site.
My daughter has had a bad habit of nail biting for years and I must say my nails looked better than hers. She now has them covered in varnish most of the time and hasn't bitten for several weeks and they are looking much better. Perhaps worth a try - maybe a nice deep red colour would be suitable Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Any suggestions for a deterrent would be welcome Smiley
Community Veteran

I sympathise with you about peeling oranges. I have very sore thumbs trying to peel an orange. Sad

Quote from: Strat

I think the best deterrent is just will-power with the knowledge that nail-biting looks awful and the result is painful fingers.
Get your daughter to give you a manicure then perhaps seeing them looking so nice may help you to not want to spoil them again?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Sadly there's nothing worth manicuring so a period of growth is called for.
Unfortunately a concious effort to resist biting won't really help as most biting is done subconsciously.
TORPC
Grafter

Perhaps you could ask your SWMBO if she has any ideas to reward you on good behavior Wink

I'm afraid she died in 2006 but she used to tell me off for doing it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just to be cheerful... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tgysvrsiog
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

What about putting plasters on your fingers for a couple of weeks till you have enough growth for them to be manicured? From what I read nails grow by around 2mm a week.

TORPC
Grafter

Sorry to hear that
Please accept my sincere apologies
Perhaps you Daughter will offer to give you a full manicure, for not biting your nails
Or
Set yourself a goal that if you have not bitten your nails you will treat yourself, with a favorite tipple / trip or other thing(s) you enjoy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat

Had a similar problem, but just "got over it"... a bit like stopping smoking...... took some will power.... and a bit of " memory power "...
Hah !.. what`s "memory power,"  then?  well ,, when you get the urge...... to bite your nails..... try to remember where they have been in the last 10 to 15  minutes.... !.. Ugh !... and you didn`t was your hands to clinical standards did you ?  nah... not even a quick rinse under the tap !... YUK>. and I`m going to put that in my mouth and eat it ? ? ? ?  !...  UGH !.. and double UGG !...
When I were a nipper, my mother used to make me have my fingers covered in  ( I think it was called ) ALLUM... however, wiki doesn`t mention it... BUT... google is your friend  ( or FIEND ).. in this case
I googled.... Nail Biting Deterrent... and came up with this.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000LNCBBW ;
Which sound similar to what my mother did to me......