cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financial Security / Email

Community Veteran

Financial Security / Email

Can I be forgiven for being absolutely enraged by a company emailing me confirmation of a direct debit as a pdf attachment and including my full name, account number and sort code in the pdf without masking a single digit?
As someone who administers several mail servers I fully understand that email is about the worlds most insecure form of communication. Am I right to complain about this?
10 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Financial Security / Email

Quote from: Sean
Am I right to complain about this?
Yes!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yep, I would unless its a water company or ISP as they seem to get away with whatever they want so you'd be wasting your time.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Thank you. This actually happened on 11th but as yet my initial email complaint has went unanswered. I have sent another today high priority and am currently in the process of typing a written letter to demand an explanation also.
I am not willing to disclose who this company is but it is a very large UK financial company. Is there any body I can lodge this complaint with?
itsme
Grafter

You give your sort code and account number out freely every time you write a cheque. You have no idea how the recipient of the cheque is going to use this information.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
You give your sort code and account number out freely every time you write a cheque.
Fortunately, these days, it's only once a year when I pay residents association.
Community Veteran

As Nadger mentioned, I also only write about one cheque a year and it is never to a private individual, usually for car tax because it is easier than queueing at the office.
I am certainly not sending the information via email where it could be picked up by anyone with enough knowledge to do so.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Don't think I've used a cheque for many years now. Admittedly its still the only viable option for mail order but these days everyone takes plastic or paypal anyway.
They reckon Cheques will be dead completely in the next couple of years. Hooray is what I say.. the damn things take so long to clear you forget you spent the money and then spend it again..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I still like cheques for receiving money though. There are a few individuals and small companies I do IT work for on a regular basis. I always provide a payment option via Paypal but some are not comfortable or familiar with online payment. Cash is an option I avoid completely for any reasonable sum so that only leaves cheques which I have no issue with.
Community Veteran

On the subject of cheques. There is currently no alternitive for many applications.
My sister works for a carnival arts company. Several days a year myself and quite a few other people will be recruited for a day or two to help out with an event. Afterwards everyone sends in their individul invoice for their particular job and the company issues cheques in the post. What other possible payment option could be used here? The company cannot possibly be asked to keep a large amount of cash at their premises to have everyone call and collect their payment. Everyone cannot be expected to have a paypal account or such set up for accepting payments.
itsme
Grafter

Electronic transfer! But that will mean that you have to email/give them your account and sort number.