Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Finally...

Finally, a daughter has given us back some CD's we'd forgotton she had 'borrowed' - and how long have they been gone?

Ten years.

Two I had replaced as I thought I had lost them, one was from a set and being a fusspot I had replaced the entire collection to make up for one that was missing, and the others were Queen albums belonging to the Mrs.

So now have not one but two copies of The Best of Elkie Brooks - or so I thought as when I opened it, it was empty. 

At least with streaming we can no longer lose our old records, tapes, or CDs. Or can we?

23 REPLIES 23
Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Finally...

Our CD collection is complete, but we no longer have a player. It failed a few years ago and we have not yet replaced it....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Vinyl seems to be making a comeback.....

What's the best medium to have music on for the best sound ? Vinyl, tape, cd ?

Like others I remember those large reels of tape and to my ears the music sounded excellent.

Of course my hearing was much better in those days.

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman  Good to see Mrs MV has excellent taste in musicThumbs UpSmitten

Fixes: 305

When you say to one of your kids you're lending them something, their built in auto-correct changes the 'lending' to 'giving'.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles wrote:

Vinyl seems to be making a comeback.....

What's the best medium to have music on for the best sound ? Vinyl, tape, cd ?

Anyone who lived through the vinyl and tape era the first time around would never seriously recommended them again.

Would they ?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Nostalgia?

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Anything in digital format is probably in a 'lossy' format like MP3, MP4. In other words to keep the file size reasonable there are bits missing that they think your ears will not notice..... IIRC they still use tape for master recordings ( or did until not long ago ) to get the best quality for messing about with and digitizing later.  The real audiophiles still prefer vinyl over CD or other digitised media..

Fixes: 331

@Minivanman wrote:

Nostalgia?

That's not what it used to be!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Indeed not, but some like to have a try anyway, and how strange that 'the good old days' never seem to match those our parents used to talk about.

"Vinyl? Not a scratch on shellac or wax cylinders. That was proper music mate... and there was a war on!" Smiley

Fixes: 592

@Minivanman wrote:

At least with streaming we can no longer lose our old records, tapes, or CDs. Or can we?

You'd be surprised at the things missing from streaming libraries totally, ones that 'aren't available in your region' and others that come and go.

So if I were you I'd rip all the music from CD yourself to ensure it's still around Smiley

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Good tip, and I have have already done that with most of my classical albums (always liked a bit of Bach) as it's just so much easier if I'm on the computer and of course, I don't have to fiddle through my small CD collection. Most of my old vinyl records I passed on to my son who now treasurers them, but what a pity I did not copy them first!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet 

You have a point, as vinyl is fine with the volume turned up as it used to be with me, but turn it down lower and the hiss and rumble seemed to increase. Or was that just me, or those cheap speakers from Woolworths!

P.S. Eddie Cochran full blast, brilliant. Those were the days.Thumbs Up

Fixes: 592

you could always borrow them (and forget to return Wink )
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wotsup
Aspiring Champion

If I took CD's to a party or lent them I was in the habit of writing my name on them in permanent pen,  it just jogs the memory of the borrower to return them, otherwise it is easy for them to forget that they don't own them. My brother in law is the worst with tools ( I don't lend them to him any more ) - once he has them you may as well go out and buy another one for yourself because no amount of reminding will help, one year when they were on holiday I went into his shed to get lawnmower out to trim their lawn and took the opportunity to repatriate all of my stuff that I could find, including a bowsaw, mattock, sledgehammer and spade.... not small things that could easily be overlooked.