Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Finally...

I hate lending tools out as when 'they' have them, I haven't.

Really annoying when somebody (son my in law usually) wants to borrow my electric drill and daughter gets all huffy when I say no, tell him to go out and buy one, it's been five years!  

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet 

Rumble on low volume records.

Have a copy of this on an album somewhere.

Sublime if you are into classical music, but not if you play it at full volume so of course when kept low you'd get that rumble and odd crackle which is really spoilt it. Never got round to buying a CD version of it though and what very few vinyls I do still have, remain silent for want of a half decent record player.      

RobPN
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 4

@wotsup wrote:

Anything in digital format is probably in a 'lossy' format like MP3, MP4. In other words to keep the file size reasonable there are bits missing that they think your ears will not notice ...

I totally agree. My digital format of choice, when available, is FLAC (Free lossless Audio Codec) and has been for many years.  These days, given the price per GB (or even per TB Smiley) of HDD (and SSD) storage, IMO there's no reason not to use lossless formats - unless of course you need to cram huge numbers of files onto a device with relatively small storage capacity, in which case it's easy to down-convert to the lower quality formats but keeping the original FLAC safely stored..

RobPN
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@Champnet 

Rumble on low volume records.

@Minivanman 

I remember having a turntable repaired many years ago and ending up with rumble whereas before the motor and/or control circuit failed there was none.

Have a copy of this on an album somewhere.

Sublime if you are into classical music, but not if you play it at full volume so of course when kept low you'd get that rumble and odd crackle which is really spoilt it. Never got round to buying a CD version of it though and what very few vinyls I do still have, remain silent for want of a half decent record player.      

Have you tried listening to FLAC versions of any of your classical music?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN 

Not aware of FLAC, but will check it out - although with my old ears I'm not sure I'd appreciate quality now. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

+1 To @RobPN for the .FLAC, granted they're 10 * the size of an MP3 but I think they sound better as there is no loss in the bottom and top end ranges.

RobPN
Seasoned Champion

@Mook wrote:

... as there a lot less loss in the bottom and top end ranges.

@Mook 

Surely that should be no loss?  Smiley

AFAICT they sound as good as WAV files, as demonstrated in my second link in post #18 above.

Highlighted
Fixes: 292

I try to live by the saying "Neither a lender nor a borrower be".

However I have been known to buy a particular tool in order to lend it to a relative who believed "why buy if you can borrow".

I'm sure he was a Ferengi.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 68.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

My current next door neighbour is a real pain for borrowing even the simplest of tools, so much so that I gathered up all my old screw drivers, gave them to him, and bout a nice new set all nice and sharp with no chewed up ends - especially those phillips type.  

PS. for @artmo - another post of mine to check off your list. How's it going?