cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally going paper free (well trying).. How do you store yours?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Finally going paper free (well trying).. How do you store yours?

I remember seeing a topic about going paper free a while back on this forum and vaguely remember people mentioning scanning and storing stuff etc.
Just wondering what you people do with your paperwork? Scan / store, keep in a filing cabinet?
We have a scanner with a document feeder which makes life nice and easy. Although its not as fast as those in an office it still saves you running to the scanner for every page etc. Anyway last night I started work on a database application to store everything nicely away in DB tables according to who each document is relevant to etc. Seems to be working well for now, but I'd like to add mass-scanning to it via barcodes at some point so I can just chuck the entire lot in the scanner and let the program chew through the resulting PDF..
Anyway those of you who scan yours, what do you do with your scanned files and the left over paperwork?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Finally going paper free (well trying).. How do you store yours?

I use some software called Papermaster which is really effective at storing scanned documents, and it uses Optical Character recognition of the stored documents to enable retrieval searches. Sadly maintenance ceased on this product when the originators were overtaken by another company.
Make sure you have offsite copies of our scanned documents too, such as drop box or sugarsync.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Important documents, such as receipts for really expensive stuff, I photograph with my high resolution digital camera.
Flash on, taken from a slight angle, so as not to get reflected flash on the image.
I always keep the paperwork, sometimes it's quicker to type in a search on the computer, especially for User Manuals, mainly the type printed on one large folded sheet.
So, I don't go paper free, but a digital image is better for myself for so many reasons.
Fixes: 47

I scan all sorts of paperwork to pdf and then to network storage, especially forms I have to fill in and post.
I recently spent a couple of days scanning every birth, marriage and death certificate in my possession.  
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Same as @strat (even to network storage), scan to (searchable) PDF (some are immediately download as PDF).
I then "pdf merge" like items as new ones come in (So 1 PDF represents my E.On bill for as long as I've been with E.on), merged in reverse order, so the latest goes on the front.
Another PDF represents all my council tax, another represent each motor vehicle...........and so on.
House utilities like Water, Electricity, Oil, repairs, coal, wood, boiler service, car service, spares and repairs, MOT etc are all contained within about 15 pdf files
The paper documents I OCR as I convert to PDF.
Paper, keep for a couple of years, then burn.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I then "pdf merge" like items as new ones come in (So 1 PDF represents my E.On bill for as long as I've been with E.on), merged in reverse order, so the latest goes on the front.
Another PDF represents all my council tax, another represent each motor vehicle...........and so on.

What software are you using for that? Adobe reader doesn't allow anything like that and I can't find any vcl libraries that will let me do that in my program either (well not for free anyway).
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
I remember seeing a topic about going paper free a while back on this forum and vaguely remember people mentioning scanning and storing stuff ....

Back in the day,  the Paperless Office was all the rage... so vogue that companies went out and bought pricey IBM, DEC and WANG workstations for their employees to slave over. Then the corporations found they could use the paperless tech to make print outs. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of print outs.
Today, the only thing that's really gone paper free is digital photography. For two main reasons: we take a zillion photos of the same places and people and, ink is still more expensive than champagne. And it's so much easier to keep our memories in the cloud.
I pity this teenage generation whose teenager years won't be forever on 110 or Disc negatives in a drawer. Instead, their memories will be perenial slaves to the benevolance of server farms.
Something that's not gone paperless yet - junk mail. Enough to fill a recycling sack every two weeks!
Community Veteran

Well I say paperless but really I mean keep copies in PDF form in a database so I can find them easily for reference while still keeping the paper copies stashed away.
I don't ever envisage a time when we're truly paperless to be honest but I think more and more people will start keeping their stuff in digital form.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
What software are you using for that? Adobe reader doesn't allow anything like that and I can't find any vcl libraries that will let me do that in my program either (well not for free anyway).

PDF split and merge basic version is free from http://www.pdfsam.org/download/ quite happy with it, have split and merged whole journals,  not exactly intuitive, but easy enough to use.
I'd read your comment on Databases, went down that path before I discovered pdfsam. I've now about 60 basic pdfs that store all our documents including house deeds.

...house deeds.

Ooo!..more stuff to scan.
That's a good idea about merging pdf scans. I'll look into that....thanks.
Community Veteran

I'd read your comment on Databases, went down that path before I discovered pdfsam. I've now about 60 basic pdfs that store all our documents including house deeds.

Well the program I've made can store the pdf files as blobs in a table that relates to the particular contact / account so I have the best of both worlds in that respect. What I want to do though is something that I saw in an office moons ago though. They had computer system for their customers (obviously) and whenever they wanted to keep the post, they would generate a type of fax header sheet from the system and print it out (after inputting how many pages etc to be scanned). That sheet would contain a barcode. You'd put that on top of the documents (one for each different account / set of docs) and then feed the whole lot into the document feeder on the scanner. Black magic happened (or so I thought) and it would read the barcodes, break down the pages and import them into the correct customers accounts. It was really brilliant to see it in action as the scans would be available pretty much instantly.
So, I've prowled around, I've found myself a barcode component that is excellent and can pick out barcodes from PDFs or images in any orientation, direction, quality etc (and I do mean it's exceptional) but I need to find a way of splitting the PDF pages that the scanner outputs. Once I've got that sorted I can just feed the weeks post into the scanner with header sheets and barcodes and have the whole lot scanned into a pdf, then the appropriate pages put into seperate pdfs and stored in the DB.
I had hoped to find some freeware software that offered me all of that but nothing seemed to turn up so I figured I'd give it a go myself..
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Sprite, What is the Database that you are using?  Is it Free?
And what is the document barcode reader that you are using?  Is it Free?
I need to look in to one of them scanners with a document feeder.

I needed a new printer so ended up with one of these with scanner and document feed.
DaveyH
Pro

I'm intrigued as to where all this paperwork is coming from that requires so much effort to archive.
Aside from deeds, driving licenses and birth certificates, we have/get no to little paperwork these days.
Fixes: 124

Bank statements are the one thing I'll not archive to digital. I may start making a backup copy but I'll always keep the originals (for 7 years, anyway).
While emails are quick and convenient there is something still to be said for receiving a letter through the post. I get the occasional letter from the Open University and, strangely enough, I enjoy reading that much more than any emails even if they contain pdf letters that I could print Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still