cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final resting Place

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Final resting Place

Seems reasonable that many people would want their ashes scattered at a favourite location but I find it hard to agree that doing this could effect the eco system......other than the point made in the final sentence which is fair comment.
More than half of families now choose to scatter the ashes of a loved one with one third choosing a natural beauty spot such as a national park, recent figures show.
Alfred Wainwright, author of the definitive guides to Lake District peaks, had his ashes scattered on Haystacks after his death in 1991. But the growing taste for do-it-yourself memorials has prompted growing concern over the impact it is having on the natural environment
Dr Malcolm Petyt, of the Ramblers Association, said there was concern that the sheer volume of ashes in some particularly popular spots could affect the ecosystem. “The naturalists among us may say a concentrated amount in one place could have an effect on biodiversity in the area," he said.
Mike Innerdale, of the National Trust, also warned that mourners should be careful of contamination. "Avoid sensitive wildlife habitats like ponds and wet flushes and keep away from water courses."
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Final resting Place

In my will, I stated that I wanted to be buried at  sea....  ( apparently I can have this done, due to my service in the R.N )
However, the reason why I wanted to be buried at sea, was because, my mother did not approve of my marriage at the time,..... and she was so incensed, that she said she would rather dance on my grave than attend the ceremony....  Shocked
(pity she died before me......  Cheesy  )
Razer
Grafter

Next someone will be complaining that the burning of bodies is causing air pollution. Well, I suppose that in a sense it does, but you get my meaning I'm sure. Personally I couldn't care less. If I can get round to getting my will done I will stipulate that I want that my body shall be given to medical science to chop up and play with as much as they like.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
Next someone will be complaining that the burning of bodies is causing air pollution

Maybe someone will develop a new eco friendly power station.
Run on a bio fuel made from the rendered fat............................................
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

With the increases in population and obesity that might prove to be a resource that would not run out. [Where did I leave my coat?]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think that was tried, in Germany.........about 70 years ago.....  Shocked