cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter Cofee - which is better?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Filter Cofee - which is better?

Given that I have just been using a can of Costa coffee, comparing it to my "normal" brand of Aldi's, I can't say I notice any real difference between them. Neither can SHMBO who drinks coffee all the time, all be it (cr()p) Nescafee.
NB I am normally a tea drinker but like filter coffee not instant - will not touch that with a 10' barge poll.
Same filter machine, same routine: 3 scoops of coffee to 6 "cups" on the machine for 2 mugs full.
I only bought the Costa 'cause it was reduced, and @£2.50 for 250g in a tin I thought it was worth a try, to compare with my Aldi 250g @£1.89 plastic bag one I normally buy. The tin will be kept for keeping more coffee in once the Costa is finished.
I used to grind my own beans several years ago when I lived in London and had a local source of good beans, not bothered since moving back to Scotland as I don't drink that much any more.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Filter Cofee - which is better?

I find the cheaper stuff is generally as good.
Sainsburys filter coffee is nicer than the Tesco equivalent and we've been buying the Lavazza Rossa from Tesco which is quite nice and at £2 for 250g doesn't break the bank either.
Who did you get your beans from in London by the way ? It wasn't Smiths was it ?
Community Veteran

It was a little shop in an arcade in Croydon. Mind you it was over 20 years ago so names elude me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I use Douwe Egberts Cafetiere Blend and I find it as good as the more expensive blends - mind you I get it cheap from the Cash and Carry 500g for £4
One thing does annoy me - I can't get the same flavour, whichever I use, as when using coffee bought in the USA
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
I used to grind my own beans several years ago when I lived in London and had a local source of good beans

I still do.
Used to buy my beans from the Monmouth Coffee House and still do when I can. Otherwise tend to look for specific varieties/areas that I prefer.
Community Veteran

Douwe Egberts for me as well, cannot find anything as good regardless of cost. Used to get good freshly ground from Kardohma in Putney several centuries ago, probably a betting shop by now!
Community Veteran

I don't like the cafetiere's I find spitting out grinds too much. Prefer filtered coffee.
itsme
Grafter

Moka pot is the only way to make coffee
Fixes: 47

Hot water over a spoonful of Nescafé and a dash of milk is fine for me. Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I suppose it depends on the cafetiere - this one seems to work very well http://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-wall-Straight-Sided-Cafetiere-Cup/dp/B00447CXS2/ref=pd_sim_kh_2
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Strat
Hot water over a spoonful of Nescafé and a dash of milk is fine for me. Lips are sealed

Yep, that's about it...
I no longer drink coffee but when I did I liked nothing better than to dunk a bar of chocolate into it Cheesy
Edit: Now I have thought about it I remember I used to like it made with hot milk rather than water.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I drink tea now as a rule with a rare coffee as a treat.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
Hot water over a spoonful of Nescafé and a dash of milk ...

Perhaps a desert spoonful of Camp Coffee and a glop of condensed milk in freshly boiled water
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Camp Coffee should be made with all milk
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Try this then for really nice  instant coffee.
Put the milk and coffee in the cup and stir (cold).  Ping it in the microwave until the milk boils. Pour on recently boiled water.. Enjoy.  Seems to bring out more flavour.