cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Film trailers: Do the films live up to expectations

Fixes: 125

Film trailers: Do the films live up to expectations

Have you ever been excited/enthralled by a trailer, either on TV or in the cinema, for a forthcoming release only to be bitterly disappointed at the film?
Here's some of mine:
Terminator: Salvation
Star Wars: Episodes V & VI
Superman Returns
Quantum of Solace

I'm sure there's a lot more...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Film trailers: Do the films live up to expectations

Quantum of Solace was utter tripe IMO. I don't like the blonde fella as bond at all. The only cool thing he's done was that stunt with the queen for the olympics (by stunt I mean walking along next to her - not the parachuting bit!).
Hot Fuzz was another too - excellent trailer but the film didn't live up to it. Ok the film was still very good but they'd given it all away in the trailer. Johnny English 2.. now that was a terrible film despite the hype and trailer surrounding it. What happened to the legendary Boff who we all knew from the Barclay card adverts and who was in the first one? Seriously, it was Boff who made the Johnny English saga complete.
I think the secret to a good trailer is to show the bits that keep you in suspense but not the actual stuff that happens to resolve it. Thats the problem in many of the trailers today they'll show you the plot and then half the resolution too which then turns into disappointment when you finally see it (well thats my opinion anyway!).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Hot Fuzz was quite a disappointment after the trailer and I agree about Johnny English, too.
You may find this article interesting.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

Prometheus for me wasn't as good as the hype.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yeah I agree Strat, I found it hard to follow that film at all when I finally saw it - I got bored very quickly!

Avatar is another one that never lived up to the trailer.

Community Veteran

Yes it is! It's not a bad film but it went on far too long if you ask me - so long we got bored.
Battlestar Galactica.. now that was a real disappointment for me. I promised the missus a good film when we hired that from Blockie years ago and we both struggled to get through the film. We nearly asked for our money back on that which was a shame as the previous 80s series was brilliant despite the cheesy graphics. The graphics on the new BSG film were excellent but the plot was all mixed up and what with Starbuck suddenly becoming a woman it just ruined it. I've heard the series is enjoyable but I never bothered!
As for Hot Fuzz, I actually enjoy it now I've not seen the trailer for years - the trailer definitely made it look better than it really was. Without seeing it the film isn't too bad.
Two of the best trailers I've seen are for Taken and Law Abiding Citizen. I've heard that Taken 2 wasn't great though.

I've seen some 'comedies' where the only funny parts were those in the trailers - huge disappointments there Angry

Fixes: 105

You sure you mean Empire and Return? Can't believe the disappointed you!!
The annoying thing about trailers at the moment is they either put bits in that aren't in the film or in the case of fast and furious 6 show you the climatic ending!
I'm mostly given up with trailers, really enjoy the Mayo and Kermode film show on 5Live though
Will Moderate For Thanks

Quote from: dvorak

You sure you mean Empire and Return? Can't believe the disappointed you!!

Aren't they episodes V & VI?
I have only enjoyed Star Wars (episode IV) I admit to never watching Episodes I, II & III but I felt the trailers I saw would have set me up for disappointment.

shalom2010
Grafter

How about the opposite?
I saw the trailer for 2001 - A Space Odyssey in 1973 & thought it was some 'space film'. However I saw the film on a massive screen at Leicester Square two weeks later and was (& am) blown away. For me it is a wonder to see & true art
Community Veteran

Reminds me when I bought an Amiga which had a demo disk with it "Open the Pod bay doors, HAL".
I think it's the change in trailers which has lead to a lot of disappointment with films.
Trailers used to show tantalising glimpses of the film content. Now they just seem to show the best bits.
When you finally see the film there's no surprises left.
shalom2010
Grafter

Unfortunately most films these days don't have any 'best bits' to show !
Community Veteran

I always make sure I arrive at the movies early enough to see the trailers.  It can give me some idea of what I want to see in the future. Also allows me to make a note of ones I don't want to see.  A good source of trailers is of course IMDB
shalom2010
Grafter

imdb.com is the wikipedia of movies, great site.