Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Film: 2012

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Film: 2012

Hi all
I don't know if anyone else has been to see this but I've just been and if I'm honest the whole idea scared the willies out of me.
The film starts by showing all the planets in the solar system aligned in a straight line with the sun being in the middle. Some weird physics kicks in (presumably the gravitational force of all the planets) and the sun has the largest solar flare in 460,000 years. It basically causes the earths core to heat up so much that the continental plates heat up and become unstable. This causes earth quakes, new super volcanoes, general chaos and panic and a rat race for survival on 12 Arks built in China.
I won't say much else as frankly I could still be here at 6am writing. All I am going to say is that its scared the pants off me and what makes it worse is that he special FX were so realistic. I don't know what the worst bit was... the film being so realistic or the fact that there is already tons of stuff on google about the mayan calender predicting the end of the world as we know it in 2012.
I know this will sound like a really dodgy conspiracy but the film went on to explain how the funding of these 12 arks was handled. They sold tickets to billionaires for billions of euros. They had a so called 'dam' being built (where the workers were really building the arks) and everyone else on the planet is basically left to rot (which reminds me if anyone does actually know of any apparently super large projects being built anywhere in the world now could be a good time to mention it). Now.. please don't think I'm paranoid as my imagination has probably just got the wild side of me here but let me ask this question:
Is it just me or is it  more than a coincidence that the UK government never has any money, raises our taxes as much as possible and then again pleads that they're skint?
Don't get me wrong, I love a good laugh at a conspiracy theory as much as anyone but this film and the fact that this mayan calender is real and actually does predict some form of event in 2012 has really irked me!
What gets me more is the earth quake in folkestone a few years back (despite the UK not suffering from them) the Tsunami a few years before that and the other earth quake a few years before that further up north (York area?).
Ok, stop rolling around on the floor laughing at me now and tell me that its all cobblers please!!!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
24 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Film: 2012

You'll be pleased to see that 2012 is not the end of the film world:-
2013, la fin du pétrole
So that gives you at least an extra year (then the oil runs out). Grin Grin

Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
... which reminds me if anyone does actually know of any apparently super large projects being built anywhere in the world now could be a good time to mention it

OMG, this must be an Ark  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/8337331.stm
: Cheesy
SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Denzil
Grafter

Ok, stop rolling around on the floor laughing at me now and tell me that its all cobblers please!!!

Well, you asked for it Cheesy
The planetary alignment thing is nonsense. Even if it did happen the planets are all much too far apart for their gravity to have any effect. The heat in the Earth's core is nothing to do with the sun, and a flare big enough and long lasting enough to raise its temperature would roast everything on the surface to a crisp first. The UK has suffered from small earthquakes and tornadoes probably for ever. It is only relatively recently that the media are picking up more of the stories.
Fixes: 47

Denzil now feels so much better having convinced himself it's a load of nonsense Wink Smiley
However we will not know the truth for another 3 years Undecided Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Denzil
Grafter

He he. It does all sound a bit like when the Shoemaker-Levy 9 comet crashed into Jupiter, and some people claimed the 'shock waves' would tear into the Earth and cause huge damage here.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Denzil .. However we will not know the truth for another 3 years Undecided Shocked

Nope, afraid he's got much longer to wait than that, it's 1968 in Cornwall ....
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
itsme
Grafter

What gets me more is the earth quake in folkestone a few years back (despite the UK not suffering from them)

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_events/recent_events.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Reminded me of a Clive Cussler’s novel Atlantis Found, about the construction of a series of modern day Arks that would survive the disaster of a world flood.
The Mayan Calendar supposedly predicts the current epoch will end with a major flood on Dec 21st 2012 at 11:11 Universal Time
There are several Iminami (Mega Tsunami) waiting to happen, Two I know of are
    1) The South East corner of Big Island Hawaii, running from Volcano Village to the South Eastern tip of big Island about 900 square kilometres. This could be a similar event as the Molokai Iminami which swept the pacific around 1 million years ago, estimated size of the tidal wave that hit Alaska was > 300meters. In recent years debris aprons have been located off the north coast of Molokai. Then the whole of the north side of Molokia Island  slipped into the sea, the sea cliffs of Molokia are 2-300 meters high.
Remember the Hawaiian Island are Basalt lava sitting on 90% sand, the 2007 Hurricane caused 45 hectares of ‘rock delta’  to be washed away in a few moments similar to the time lapsed images taken in 2005 here
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/kilauea/volcanomovies/movies/East%20Lae%60apuki%20collapse%20-%20Nov%...

And
      2) A land slip from the fault line of Cumbre Viejo in the Canaries will cause some problems in the Atlantic, with a 60m wave train washing around the North Atlantic. There is evidence that this has happened during the last 2000 years. Again Cumbre Viejo is Basalt Rock sitting on sand.
Both could bring about a major change to civilisation.

The Toba volcanic eruption bought the human population to the brink of extinction (traced by study of mitochondria DNA and the associated DNA bottleneck.)
I worked on a project in the middle east it was a 20 year project, the concept was a series of large underground concrete and steel lined caverns, each cavern was around 400 meters long and 30 meters high x 20 meters wide, there were around 750 caverns on 5 sites, average depth 200 meters below ground, deep enough to withstand a direct strike from a nuclear missile. The project was due to be finished and operation by 2010 and was supposed to store fuel oil (i.e. dig it up, refine it and bury it again – which all sounded a bit daft to me).
I never did find out what the project was for, but it had a workforce of several thousand and could have easily been interpreted as a doomsday project.
Writing  about novels, wasn’t it Tom Clancy’s ‘Executive Orders’ that had a suicide pilot crash a jet liner into the Capitol Building. In 1997 when it was published it was considered far-fetched.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: journeys
The Mayan Calendar supposedly predicts the current epoch will end with a major flood on Dec 21st 2012 at 11:11 Universal Time

Funny you say that about the Mayan calender as it's had me thinking a lot since seeing the film. In the film I remember someone passing a comment about how the stone age Mayans were able to predict the event so long ago. It set me thinking.. supposing they were not stone age people? - let me explain.
Supposing that any advanced race becomes aware of its impending doom and decides to leave behind traces of its humanity for future generations of survivors? How would this be done? You couldn't leave a PC and a DVD behind as no-one in several thousand years would know how to use it and thats assuming that it hadn't rotted away. You couldn't leave a machine running (IE automated computer to tell the story) as it would also suffer from environmental damage and end up rotting away. In fact in reality you could not leave anything behind at all. Wood, plastic, metal.. they'll all rot away eventually. So I asked myself.. if I had to leave a symbol behind of my existence for future generations, what would it be and what could it be made of? The answer frankly is far simpler than you would think.
Buildings which several thousand years down the line would still be recognisable as living space and monuments. The only material we have capable of lasting so long is: STONE. It's natures toughest and most robust building material and it lasts tens of thousands of years. Now if we look at all the unexplained monuments in existence today: Stone henge, The great pyramids, Ancient cities (typically located in jungles), The great sphynx etc. In fact a quick google http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ancient+monuments&btnG=Search+images&hl=en&um=1&sa=2&start=0 reveals a lot!
Think about it, with todays building skills we'd still struggle to replicate things like the pyramids. It would take so much planning and financial resources that frankly I think any nation would struggle to do it. Somehow these ancient civilisations did it. It now makes me wonder if they were actually far more socially and TECHNOLOGICALLY advanced than we've ever given them credit for. As I said above, after thousands of years any technology which they may of once had would of rotted away and would now be dust. The only way to pass on the proof of their existence and tell us any stories they wanted to pass on would be to leave very basic recognisable objects such as shelter and drawings.
What I am saying is that in order to communicate with another civilisation you would have to break things down to the most basic elements. We have cave drawings, the same in ancient egypt and we have stone monuments built to last which have successfully stood until the point of discovery.
Now.. if either went back in time or knew your civilisation was doomed and you wanted to leave behind a sign of your existence and some sort of story how else would you do it? - It seems we have these ancient monuments in almost every country on earth. I can't help but think we're juniors of what might have once been a very advanced race.
I know you're all probably laughing your heads off now but history has taught us that these far-fetched ideas are only far fetched because most people won't actually consider them seriously.
I worked on a project in the middle east it was a 20 year project, the concept was a series of large underground concrete and steel lined caverns, each cavern was around 400 meters long and 30 meters high x 20 meters wide, there were around 750 caverns on 5 sites, average depth 200 meters below ground, deep enough to withstand a direct strike from a nuclear missile. The project was due to be finished and operation by 2010 and was supposed to store fuel oil (i.e. dig it up, refine it and bury it again – which all sounded a bit daft to me).
I never did find out what the project was for, but it had a workforce of several thousand and could have easily been interpreted as a doomsday project.

Interesting to hear about that. Makes you wonder what its really for...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

There are several Iminami (Mega Tsunami) waiting to happen, Two I know of are
     1) The South East corner of Big Island Hawaii, running from Volcano Village to the South Eastern tip of big Island about 900 square kilometres. This could be a similar event as the Molokai Iminami which swept the pacific around 1 million years ago, estimated size of the tidal wave that hit Alaska was > 300meters. In recent years debris aprons have been located off the north coast of Molokai. Then the whole of the north side of Molokia Island  slipped into the sea, the sea cliffs of Molokia are 2-300 meters high.
Remember the Hawaiian Island are Basalt lava sitting on 90% sand, the 2007 Hurricane caused 45 hectares of ‘rock delta’  to be washed away in a few moments similar to the time lapsed images taken in 2005 here

They are actually basalt firmly Cheesy anchored to the oceanic plate - and surrounded by a bit of sand.

Obviously these would be ideal for storing a large fleet of submarines. Grin

@okrzynska I like your proposition.
We view ancient stone structures and think that the engineers who built them were very skilled 'for that time' to erect such structures.
As you propose in 'that time' those engineers may have been far more advanced than we are today and simply used those structures as a lasting indicator.
I have had discussions at work before and put forward the suggestion that a complete civilisation similar to our own existed before on the planet, coming into existence, evolving, developing and dying out over a period of thousands of years.
Many of the ancient relics existing around the world today we attribute to the early days of our civilisation.
This may not be the case.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

nice one
large fleet of submarines

One location is at 5000ft in the Asir mountains, funny I just looked it up on google earth (18.806662, 42.356013), its been 'patched over' with an older photograph – something to hide perhaps?.
The extended winter following the Toba eruption of approx 72000 years ago, supposedly bought the human population down to less than a thousand people. Considering how we've evolved in the last 2000 years alone, there could easily have been an advanced civilisation prior to Toba. What could remain from an era of 72000 years ago?
They are actually basalt firmly  anchored to the oceanic plate - and surrounded by a bit of sand.

I've always considered them as 'plugs' of basalt (connecting the hot spot to the magma chamber to the rift/ vent,). Surrounded by sand. The outflows of lava rest on the surrounding sand.
Looking at the line of the hot-spot migration across the pacific today reveals a line of sea-mounts (residue plugs), the Basalt islands surrounding the hot-spot plugs have all but washed away.
Differences of ideas make it interesting

Quote from: Axisofevil
You'll be pleased to see that 2012 is not the end of the film world:-
2013, la fin du pétrole

Someone planning for the future Jeremy........if there is one Wink Smiley
Community Veteran

i'm waiting for yellowtone park to go pouf.  it's about ready according to the dates.  should wake up the americans a bit.