Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifty Quid

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Fifty Quid

A new £50 plastic note has been put into circulation from today...  It will be available from banks, and cash machines, apparently..... 

Over the past 20 years or so... I have often seen retail premises display a notice that they will not accept £50 notes..

So... who will ( apart from the bank )... and.. more importantly... who will want to carry them around ? 

You may want to have £100 in your wallet.... just in case... or to pay for your fags and beer on a night out... but . you would probably rather have a couple of tenners and some twenty quid notes for that...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/15357998/new-plastic-50-note-alan-turing-circulation-today/

15 REPLIES 15
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

Re: Fifty Quid

@shutter wrote:

A new £50 plastic note has been put into circulation from today...  It will be available from banks, and cash machines, apparently..... 

Over the past 20 years or so... I have often seen retail premises display a notice that they will not accept £50 notes..

Perhaps people will feel more secure accepting the new version @shutter due to counterfeiting being less likely.

So they'll be able to 'put it on the plastic with a large note instead of their other 'flexible friend'.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Imagine going to the cash machine for £100 + and getting a £50 note with the amount you withdraw.

Fine if you are going to buy petrol or purchasing something expensive but as already been pointed out some venues will not accept £ 50 notes.

Doubt I will see many.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Fifty quid?

In France we sometimes had 500 Euro notes!

Try offering those in Intermarché for a tin of beans.😛

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@gleneagles wrote:

Imagine going to the cash machine for £100 + and getting a £50 note with the amount you withdraw.

The HSBC in Mayfair (near where I used to work), used to dispense £50 notes and I am sure it still does now.

I think I withdrew something like £130, and got two £50's and £20 and a £10. I thought using the £50's would be a problem - however I was with a friend of mine so two pints of beer in London you're looking at £10 at best anyway. Usually more.

So I didn't find spending them a problem, although I thought I might have.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The only times I've had £50 notes have been when I wanted to give one to one of my nephews on special occasions.  Since I've never come across a cash dispenser that dispensed them, I had to ask the cashier for one.  They were suspicious, presumably wondering whether my £20 and £10 notes were forgeries so I had to explain that giving a child or teenager a large note makes it last longer.  In fact I think one of my nephews had his £50 note for several years and eventually used it to pay for driving lessons.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It's about time this new note appeared. My mattress has become too overstuffed and hard.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

The assistant in my shop called me over.

Assistant "Two guys just tried to pay with fake £50 notes"

Me; "What did they look like?"

Assistant; "£50 notes."

😆

Thomas A. Edison
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yeah I suppose, first time I ever had one (well two) at the time.

I found it funny and showed it to my friend, was a bit careful as I flashed the cash around a bit. Just thought to myself "Be careful Alex and don't go OTT here and flashing your cash around, as it may be snatched out of your hand".

I was and it wasn't.

As I said two pints is a tenner so you are not taking the mick there. Not as if I am just asking for a packet of crisps at the pub, or trying to get a packet of chewing gum from the local paper shop.

Then I think you'd get a different response 🙂

Strat
Fixes: 515

A few years ago I had 2 £50 notes in my wallet for over a year as nobody would take them.

Shops, pubs, restaurants etc, nobody.

I ended up paying them into my bank account at the local branch saying I can't spend them.

The girl at the counter said they get quite a lot paid in for the same reason.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 90.0.2 (64-bit)

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

My Mrs tells me that back in the day in her Dad's cafe they would only take the (very occasional) £50 note from somebody they knew. 

Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Just like the Scottish notes, English retailers just don't/won't see enough of them to know if they're genuine or not....

If they take them there's nothing they can do with them apart from taking them to a bank.

Strat
Fixes: 515

I'm starting to feel sorry for the 50 pound note.

It only has one function in life and nobody trusts it to perform that function.

Maybe I should start a refuge for rejected £50 notes.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 90.0.2 (64-bit)

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

In October 1997 I was working at Boots in Meadowhall on the Till, someone gave me a 50 quid note, I'd just come off an NVQ Retail course at Sheffield College where rightly or wrongly they taught us that a lot of 50s were dud, so I refused to take the note, naturally next thing I was in the Gaffer's office getting the chop! I was only following my training for flip sake.

Do you see? Cheesy
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@MrAllen2021 

I suppose the reason you 'got the chop' was because you refuse a fifty pound note just because it's a fifty pound note if it was not their policy to do so. Sounds to me like you misinterpreted that NVQ course or that you heard what you wanted to hear and yes, we've all done that.

If it was your own business then I guess you can, but as it was not, then you cannot.

Thomas A. Edison