cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fieldfare

randpwar
Grafter

Fieldfare

As the dog and I walked yesterday morning along a hedgerow running alongside a field on the outskirts of the village, we disturbed a huge flock of Fieldfare with a few Redwing included. There must have been 200 hundred of them. They flew to the hedgerow on the opposite side of the field, almost as we got alongside, as we slowly made our way up the field. Beautiful sight which the dog chose to ignore completely
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Fieldfare

occasionally get redwing in my garden, small and in middle of town, not seen any the last few years,  normally see them on the fields outside town around here, not been for a ride recently though.
What region of the country are you in?
randpwar
Grafter

&pierre_pierre A few miles from Warwick. We get a good population of Fieldfare each winter but not so many Redwing; unless of course I just haven't noticed them previously. I'm used to seeing them in flocks of 20 to 30 but, as I say, there must have been a couple of hundred of them.
Funny how I tend to notice the passing of the seasons by migrating birds comings and goings; I look forward to the Fieldfare every bit as much as I do for the Swifts and Swallows in spring.....walking the dog is a bit more pleasant in summer though  Smiley 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some info from BTO
http://www.bto.org/node/6296
7 Oct 2011

Record date Region County 10km Location
Thursday, July 7, 2011 North West Greater Manchester SD80
Thursday, August 18, 2011 North Scotland Orkney HY44
Sunday, August 21, 2011 North Scotland Highland ND15
Friday, August 26, 2011 North Scotland Orkney HY42
Saturday, August 27, 2011 South East Kent TQ94
Monday, August 29, 2011 North Scotland Highland NH92
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 East Midlands Derbyshire SK34
Thursday, September 1, 2011 North West Merseyside SJ29
Friday, September 2, 2011 East of England Norfolk TG04
Friday, September 2, 2011 Yorkshire & The Humber South Yorkshire SK39
tinto
Grafter

We feed birds in our garden all year round, mostly sparrows, starling, tits, and of course feral pigeons.  We had a single field fare for about a week last year had a single field fare come in during the extreme weather, which hogged the cooking apple we put out daily, but wasn't seen feeding on anything else.
We also have a robin which is spending its third winter with us, it arrives mid November and leaves in March.  It's become quite tame and prefers to feed in our back porch due to the numbers of other birds around.  Has anyone any idea of how long this wee chap might expect to live?
pierre_pierre
Grafter