cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fieldfare are back

randpwar
Grafter

Fieldfare are back

Spent most of the last weekend at the stables where SWMBO and daughter do their riding and in between performing my duties of poo picking, topping up the horse’s water buckets, formulating a method of keeling the rats out of the chicken coops and fetching the dog back from the stream (I get all the glamorous jobs) saw almost no end of Fieldfare flying in.
A lovely sight and one I look forward to each year like I do the return of the swallows and House Martins in the spring. I couldn’t help thinking that they’re a couple of weeks early this year; purely from memory I reckon it’s into November I see them. We are very much an ‘outdoor family’ as son also does a lot of kayaking and sailing so it isn’t just that we happened to be out this weekend; though we were out almost all daylight hours
Given that we’re more or less in the middle of the country have people living by coasts seen them for a while?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Fieldfare are back

fieldfare?  Embarrassed
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
randpwar
Grafter

Sorry, I should of explained. A Fieldfare is a large Thrush that winter's here from the north
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/f/fieldfare/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Ah ok, I learned something new today Smiley
Not sure I've ever seen them but we get tons of geese flying over us every other week here.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
JamesM
Grafter

I see the odd thrush or two in my garden (nothing for a few miles over my back garden apart from a wood and fields) but I am not sure if they are fieldfare or not.
What I used to love in Australia was in summer when it was dusk, hundreds of fruit bats flying over, so many that they blocked the sky. Wing spans of over 1.5 metres flying towards the coast from inland.
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: JamesM
nothing for a few miles over my back garden apart from a wood and fields) but I am not sure if they are fieldfare or not.

Good Fieldfare territory  Smiley. You would tell the difference James as they are noticeably larger and very usually in quite large flocks of anything up to 100 or more; not too often you find them in one's or two's
tinto
Grafter

We were on holiday in Berwickshire about three weeks ago, and on a day we visited Coldingham Bay, a big flock of them flew in off the North Sea, straight on to long grasses growing on the cliffs, to feed on the seeds. There was no faffing about, it was as if some who'd done the trip before knew the route, knew the grass and seeds were there, and led the rest to it.
We live in a fairly big town and seldom see them, but during the severe winter a couple of years back a solitary turned up in our garden, which was unusual, if we do see them they're usually in a group of about half a dozen or so.  It didn't seem too interested in the seeds, fatballs and nuts we put out for the resident birds and squirrels, but it chased other birds off  halved cooking apples we also put out, and would polish off a half Bramley in the morning, returning for the other half later.  It stayed for a about a week and then moved on.
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: tinto

We live in a fairly big town and seldom see them, but during the severe winter a couple of years back a solitary turned up in our garden, which was unusual, if we do see them they're usually in a group of about half a dozen or so.  It didn't seem too interested in the seeds, fatballs and nuts we put out for the resident birds and squirrels, but it chased other birds off  halved cooking apples we also put out, and would polish off a half Bramley in the morning, returning for the other half later.  It stayed for a about a week and then moved on.

Further to my last post above, here's a photo of our fielfare
JamesM
Grafter

Good Fieldfare territory  . You would tell the difference James as they are noticeably larger and very usually in quite large flocks of anything up to 100 or more; not too often you find them in one's or two's

Good to know randpwar,
I am a keen photographer so I will have to keep my eyes open to see if I can get any images of them.