Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiction or real life

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Fiction or real life

We have all seen films or tv series that are based on things that have really happened, a good example is,' A Confession'...ITV monday.

But I wonder how many fictional things appear on tv that people get so engrossed in that they find it hard to seperate fact from fiction and believe some of what they see is true

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Fiction or real life

EastEnders, Coronation Street, all the people that still visit Goathland in the Yorks Moors that think Heartbeat was real? Etcetc

Highlighted
Pro

Wasn't there a case a while back of Ross Kemp getting thumped by somebody in a pub, for something that "Grant Mitchell" had done in Eastenders?

I thought everyone knew that he was really "Henno" in "Ultimate Force". . . Crazy

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Like alien abductions you mean? Tongue

Mind you, having watched The Matrix years back I did consider it plausible that we might in fact be living in false reality. 

As for those based on things that 'really did happen', more often than not they will tell us it is "based on a true story" - but for example 'The Bird Man of Alkatraz' did not keep birds there, and 'The Bridge on the River Kwai' looked nothing like the one in the film. As for the story line of both... the mind really is presented with a false reality but hey, that's entertainment folks.

Not one for dramas anyway. I'm more of a boring old git documentary program man and crikey, even they are 'economical with the truth' to use that now famous line, and what was it Rumpsfeld said about "Known knowns"?  

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

Crazy2

Can somebody please pass the salt. If not, a gun will do. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Just over three years ago I read a book where a government offered the people a referendum and promised to carry out the wishes of the people based on the result of that vote.  I wholeheartedly believed it was a true story, but recently I've discovered that it was only based on a true story and that a number of different endings were available, furthermore the name of the main character has changed twice.  It is even being suggested that some scenes were created for our entertainment.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Cheesy

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Strangely I did have an idea about The Matrix way before it came out, they stole my idea Grin

But having an education and having gone through some terrible experiences in my life (no I won't go into them here or I'll be banned). I've learned that real life is nothing like films.

After one unpleasant 'event' (massive inverted commas) I hardly watch TV anymore as I have no interest in it now.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Maybe television is the current bad boy of information but newspapers, books, and before that priests, Lords and what the local Town Crier proclaimed as truth must have taken some swallowing!

Nowt so daft as folk. Smiley

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removed.