cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Premises getting cheaper

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Fibre to the Premises getting cheaper

The BT wholesale price for fibre to the premises (nominal 330 Mbs) has been set at £38 a month.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
5 REPLIES
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Fibre to the Premises getting cheaper

It looks good, until you find this bit!
BT claims that premises that are 500 metres away from the cabinet will incur a charge of around £1,000.

And from El Reg
[quote=http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/05/bt_fttp_price_cuts/]The national telco said it was up to those companies to decide whether to pass on the costs, which are expected to start at about £500 and could climb to well above £1,000 in some cases depending on the distance of a property from BT's fibre network. The prices are yet to be finalised, however.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

How do we find out if we are elegible for the reduced rate ?
I'm 460 metres from my Exchange !!!
Community Veteran

30m from a BT FOC relay exchange (which is on my land), but sadly it's the wrong type of snow exchange
Community Veteran

If I read the article correctly there are two main criteria for availability:
1. Within range of a FTTC location
2. Enough business/public interest in the area in the use of FTTP.

So £500 install + £1000 (approx) to pull a fibre cable from the cabinet to home/office premises. Then £39/month plus any ISP uplift for services.
Don't forget this is an asymmetric service like ADSL but is still PDF  (last letter = fast)

Edit: In the good old days to expedite the service; you'd find the relevant BT manager, take him out for a boozy night with a strip club, followed by a Chinese meal in a seedy back alley restaurant at midnight. When the waiters start putting the chairs on the tables slip the BT man a fat brown envelope.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
David_W
Rising Star

This is fibre on demand which replaces the copper between your house and the cabinet with fibre, BT are going to charge you to lay down the fibre so if you have a really, really big job which involves lots of men in hi-vis jackets it could be quite expensive, it really is aimed at business users who want FTTP but can currently only get FTTC, hence the cost.