Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre is in my area

JamesM
Grafter

Fibre is in my area

Rotherham, Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley
http://www.origin-broadband.co.uk/residential-services/
A tad more expensive, but the price could drop when BT start fibre here. The best news is they don't use any BT cables. A bit cheaper too for line rental if you don't want a phone.
6 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: Fibre is in my area

OK. I officially hate you now.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Been on the digital region service for about 20 months, get about 70/30 Smiley It's pretty bad ass!
Well worth the month, shame Digital Region are going bust though...
This is worth a read
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Are you sure about the no phone line?  Every package has the small print *Requires phone line rental from BT or Origin
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
JamesM
Grafter

Quote from: Razer
OK. I officially hate you now.

Still got about 4 months on this contract Razer, so don't hate me yet, you can pity me though  Cheesy
Matt, what I can't understand is I found out about this around 2 months ago, and it has taken me until today to find the web page, every body I know in this area still do not know that fibre is here. Maybe if they advertised a bit more then more people would take up the offer. I finally find out about it 4 years too late and they want to shut it down.
As I understand it Gus, you can have a DATA line for £11.49 / month, instead of a Standard BT Phone Line for both Voice and Data for £14.60 / month.
Origin Data line is used for Data only. If you don't use a landline you can choose a Data Line to get internet access into your home, without paying any more line rental to another provider
x47c
Grafter

The saga of the Digital Region project is the biggest waste of public money in broadband ever.
It is a yet another classic example of a public procurement disaster.
The figures are quite amazing.
They have connected just 3000 houses in total - supposedly.
It has cost £100 million to build the network and the running costs per month are £900,000
For the money spent to date this amounts to:
An installation cost per property of £33,000 
(Yes, that is indeed £33 thousand pounds per property)
An ongoing monthly subsidy in effect TO the customer for providing them with a broadband service of £300 per MONTH!
(That is the net amount of the real subsidy cost/month less the amount the subscribers pay to D.R)
.....and now they want another £45m off us taxpayers to keep it going.....just for it bit.
I hope the 3000 are indeed happy with the service - 'cos the rest of us ought to be incandescent with fury
You can read more about it here if you dare without suffering heart failure/apoplexy
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5952-100-million-spent-on-broadband-network-to-serve-just-3-000-c...
...and some people want to nationalise BTOpenreach because the state "can do things more effectively" - I dispair.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: JamesM
Still got about 4 months on this contract Razer, so don't hate me yet, you can pity me though  Cheesy

haha! I'll do you a deal - seething pity. How's that? Cheesy