cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Female "pop" vocalist

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Female "pop" vocalist

I listen to, and watch, quite a lot of "forren" female vocalists on YouTube... because I think they have much more musical talent, than what is available from the UK talent progs.  
My favourite is a  German Lady, by the name of Helene Fischer.....
.. however, I do listen to, and watch. Mexican, Chilean, Brazilian, Spanish, French, Belgian, Swedish, Puerto Rican, Russian, Slovenian, Polish... ( amongst others )! ! !  
None of which I understand, language wise, but the production and the sheer professionalism of their performances make them worth watching, and listening to.
so.. Try to convince me that "britain has got talent". or the X factor....
and name your top 5 female pop vocalists, so I can go and watch them to see if they measure up to my current "play list"...
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Female "pop" vocalist

Hmm... Interesting result..... 46 views and not one of them has suggested any ONE Female Pop Vocalist....  let alone 5 !....
So I it seems I am right in my assumption that there aren`t any decent Female Pop Vocalists in the UK... 
If you are interested in "my selection" of world wide talent, then send me a PM... and I will sort a list out, with some tracks for you to enjoy....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Or it could be that we just don't listen to pop muzak !  Grin
Personally I couldn't tell you who is in the top100 or on any of the "talent" shows.
Community Veteran

@  HB... point one..... maybe... but I would have thought that the spectrum of members on here.... SOME.. would
               point two.... neither can I   .. ( cos I`m listening to , and watching.... real talent...)
WTF
Grafter

I'm struggling with foreign ones:
Patricia Kaas - France
Celia Cruz - Cuba
La India - Puerto Rico
Unless 'mericuns count, then:
Ella Fitzgerald
Nina Simone
Billy Holiday
Hang on - that's more than 5!
And I may be stretching the definition of pop ever so slightly Wink

Community Veteran

@WTF....

Try to convince me that "britain has got talent". or the X factor....
and name your top 5 female pop vocalists,

However, you have listed 3  forreners !.. who I have not heard of... so will go and check them out... and maybe add them to my list...
The yanks are "classic" old pop ..... and they certainly do/did have "class" and "talent"... which is what I am finding/looking for , as in my original post....  Wink
randpwar
Grafter

Ah well, ‘talent’ and ‘class’ are subjective opinions.
I don’t know the latest top 100 either but British female vocalists I’ve enjoyed would include Kate Bush, Siouxie Sioux, The lead singer of Florence and the Machine, always thought Dusty Springfield had a great voice. As for tham thar ‘mericans, in addition to WTF’s excellent choices I’d have to add Joni Mitchell, Aretha Franklin and Dolly Parton. Never did go for the Diana Ross, Whitney Houston style but I can understand why people do 
x47c
Grafter

Helene Fischer & Andrea Berg are stalwarts of the Austrio-German Schlager type music along with Swiss Beatrice Elgi.
.....and they both do it very well.
I gather there is more of an acceptance in Europe of using playback in concerts as well as TV rather than a genuine totally live performance where they are looking for the entire visual performance as the act rather than the sole musical ability to stand on a stage and sing.
I guess most also realize that certainly modern style 'pop' mix simply is impossible to be played live - like Alexandra Stan's very fast electro-beat music.
Fixes: 125

I'd agree with Patricia Kaas. Helene Fischer doesn't particularly float my boat but is enjoyable.
I am somewhat leaning toward Ukrainian female singers with the likes of Tina Karol, Iryna Bilyk, Ani Lorak and Ruslana who I've seen in Concert and was very good. That's my 5 for now Wink
There's also Ella Fitzgerald, Eva Cassidy, Shirley Bassey, Sandy Shaw, Petula Clarke... for home-grown and state side.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

Struggling with Brits (beyond others' suggestions above) .. 'cept for Sade, Joan Armatrading and Cleo Laine .. I hear good things about Adele and Amy Whitehouse, though I'm not sure I'd recognise any of their songs  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I was looking for the "modern" brit got talent... i.e within the past 5 to 10 years....
Helene Fischer, is not only number one in Germany as a "schlagersangerin"... but also does some spectacular shows with her as an acrobatic act... she also does television slots, and tours around europe... as far north as Norway... It amazes me how she has the stamina for her gruelling tour schedule, and the rehersals she, and her crew, put in for the yearly shows on TV...as well as working on new routines for her tour shows...  Has done a double CD of her most popular german hits in English...
Andrea Berg is another quality singer... who has been around for a long time...but still manages to fill the concert venues... She looked very "rough" for a couple of years, but seems to have pulled herself out of that period now. and at 45 yrs old is rather attractive again.!.
Beatrice Egli, is a recent "Germany`s got talent" or X factor find... and is quite refreshing.. she wil gain much from being on  H.F`s show, and follows her style somewhat.
Take a look at Thalia... from Mexico... so good, that she was at a White House "do" and sang and danced with Pres Obama... if she is good enough for him... she is good enough for me....Now 43 yrs old and still a stunner... when she was starting out, she had a gorgeous figure, and a 22 inch waist....
Belle Perez - from Belgium,... but sings spanish and latin pop ....
Ha-Ash,  two sisters from the Mexican/US/Latin Pop scene.. very talented... and enjoyable to watch/listen to.
Jeanette Biederman... germany.. but sings mainly in English for german audiences !.. bit of a rocker...
Jill Johnson... Swedish Queen of Country music... black hair and sounds a bit like Dolly Parton.
Krystyna Sanchez... and the group SPARX... fun pop style Latin/Cumbia
Merche...  Spanish Pop...  a bit of a screacher at times.... but has some super choreography in her acts.
Myriam Hernandez  from Chile.  Good strong voice, and soulful style very dramatic on some stuff
Paula Fernandez.... Brazil... sort of country style music .... pleasant to watch and listen to...
Pernilla Andersson  Sweden... very light voice, and pleasant to look at ! ...
Selena Quintanilla.... shot by her girlfriend..... a American Mexican/Latin  talent that died too soon.
Svetlana Svetikova  russian... interesting and talented
There are others, but I think that will suffice for now !..
If you come up with any similar talent... that you think I might be interested in... please let me know...

WTF
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
I was looking for the "modern" brit got talent... i.e within the past 5 to 10 years....

You may be asking the wrong demographic  Wink
Community Veteran

I'm not a fan of  Helene Fischer.
Two singers not mentioned are Nancy Wilson and Peggy Lee - both great voices. Smiley
An up-and-coming British singer I like is Emeli Sande. Not only a good singer but a writer too Smiley
Community Veteran

Nancy Wilson and Peggy Lee, hardly meet the current criteria of "within the past 5 to 10 year" ... or "pop" vocalist    Roll eyes
I know there are plenty of 40`s 50`s 60`s female singers on youtube... just not my "bag" as I am now entering my second teenage years, and enjoying the gorgeous wimmin around today... ! !
PitchBlack
Grafter

My Top 5,
Alanis Morissette 

Tori Amos 

Lana Del Rey

Tracy Chapman 

Sheryl Crow