cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Female Engineers

Fixes: 47

Female Engineers

This could be controversial however, here goes.
I have just been on the phone with my daughter who is in her late 20s and quite intelligent.
She needs to install a young child car seat in a coach on Wednesday. (Example seat linked)
I ended the conversation with "you'll work it out between you"...bless her......she has friends in the group.
So now I'm sitting here thinking the words 'female' and 'engineer' could never exist in the same dictionary never mind sentence.
There are brief instructions on the back of the seat but being a mother she's understandably concerned for the safety of her little daughter and wants it to be right.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Female Engineers

I worked with several very good lady trainee graduate engineers including on site installing equipment in steelworks and in many cases they were better than the the male equivalents.
As a separate example my daughter who wasn't trained as an engineer is a very good practical lady who does minor repairs on her Landrover and is more than capable of assembling an IKEA wardrobe or chest of drawers from the instructions
GeordieMark
Grafter

I wonder how many members here have had a female Openreach engineer, I for one haven't.

I've no doubt the daughter will quickly work it out for herself and feel quite pleased with herself for doing it.
The diagram on the back of the seat is not that clear and had me puzzled for a short while.
I know of one young lady who dearly wanted to be an auto mechanic and did a short work experience at a local garage.
She absolutely loved it but couldn't find a trainee opening in the area.
Now she does dog grooming.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mark_
I wonder how many members here have had a female Openreach engineer,

I have never had any Openreach engineer but I saw a femail engineer rummaging around with wires beneath a pavement nearby a couple of years ago.
To be clear when talking about engineers one needs to distinguish between technicians / mechanics etc. and professionally qualified chartered engineers who have more need for mental skills than physical ones.
Watching a recent three part series on the construction of Crossrail there were a few females engineers in important roles.
itsme
Grafter

When I started work many moons ago installing telephone exchanges my initial training was done by a woman, the women use to get less.
Then when I move on into electronics and design use to come across the odd woman engineer or project manager
They were all good at their jobs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wonder how many members here have had a female Openreach engineer, I for one haven't.

I have and very good she was too and, unlike the previous two (male) engineers sent to sort out my problem, was underground certified as well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 123

Hard to tell as I haven't always asked what their jobs were  Wink Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Nice one Mav  Grin
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

In our area one of the better broadband 'engineers' is female and excellent.  Efficient, knowledgeable, pleasant (both to talk too and to look at).  One of the new generation.
In my career I've met and worked with (and for) a number of highly competent Female electronic / telephony / software engineers.  No bias here.
M
TORPC
Grafter

I have seen a few working on different cabinets in the area
However I have not had the pleasure for either of them to serve my connection, although I wouldn't mind the odd one or two to service my connection
GeordieMark
Grafter

Quote from: Mav

Hard to tell as I haven't always asked what their jobs were  Wink Cheesy

Haha I should have seen that coming  Grin
I've only had a handful of OR engineers out and the same guy has attended twice, which was useful since he knew what he was doing and actually remembered my job from the month previous