cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fell Top Assessor

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fell Top Assessor

Now how many of you fancy this as a job ? (or would you class it as Pleasure)
We are looking for a Fell Top Assessor to assess and report on the fell conditions from the summit area of Helvellyn from December through to April. These reports are featured on the daily weather forecast featured on Weatherline.
Working seven days on and seven days off, including weekends and bank holidays, you will need to be able to climb from Glenridding to the summit of Helvellyn and back in four hours. Working on your own, you must have winter mountaineering skills and experience, a first aid qualification and be able to assess conditions underfoot, including snow and ice conditions.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Fell Top Assessor

Do they provide a warm coat?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Not sure but there is an excellent Mountain Rescue Team in that area if you fail to get back on time.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Seen it recently on the TV, the person, who was doing it, (I assume he is going to stop) walked up solo every day., think it was on BBC country tracks last month
Having been up there in beginning of March 8th 1957 when I was on the Brathay course, I dont fancy it
just looked at my old log book, we went up from Thirlmere, got some old ancient black and white pics, but none of Helvelyn
pierre_pierre
Grafter

lots of info here, and several videos.  Where did you see the advert? as the two mentioned are fairly recent to the job
    Helvellyn Fell Top Assessor
    www.livefortheoutdoors.com/News.../Helvellyn-Fell-Top-Assessor/
    11 Feb 2010 – Jason Taylor, new fell top assessor for Helvellyn in the Lake District gets paid to do so. Jason beat stiff competition last December to get one of ...
    Helvellyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvellyn
    Jump to Fell top assessors‎: The Lake District national park authority has two 'Fell top assessors' who ascend Helvellyn daily during the winter months of ...
    Helvellyn's winter weather monitors saved from cuts | UK news ...
    www.guardian.co.uk/.../helvellyn-weatherline-lake-district-environm...
    17 Nov 2011 – Fell top assessor Jon Bennett making his daily ascent of Helvellyn, the third highest English. Looks nice but can be cold. Fell top assessor Jon ...
    Weatherline: Home
    www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/
    A steep bank of snow and ice remains at the top of Swirral Edge http://t.co/npp5FI279 Jan 4:55 pm. twitter-icon Follow us on Twitter · Find out more about Anatom ...
    BBC News - Weather puts daily Helvellyn ascent on hold
    news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/8598357.stm
    1 Apr 2010 – Heavy snow prevents a fell-top assessor who climbs Helvellyn daily to report on weather conditions from reaching the peak.
    grough — Mountain-top weather reports could be axed unless ...
    www.grough.co.uk/.../mountain-top-weather-reports-could-be-axed-...
    31 Mar 2011 – Jason Taylor, one of the two Helvellyn felltop assessors ... Assessors have made the daily trip to the top of the mountain for the last 35 winters. ...
    Helvellyn Fell Top Reports 'Saved' - Outdoors News ...
    www.outdoorsmagic.com/outdoors.../helvellyn-fell-top.../9021.html?...
    16 Nov 2011 – Helvellyn Fell Top Reports 'Saved'. Sponsorship and parsimony means fell top assessors go back to work in early December. ...
    The weatherman of Helvellyn mountain | Travel | guardian.co.uk
    ►►

www.guardian.co.uk/.../helvellyn-mountains-weather...18 Mar 2010
    Martin Wainwright talks to fell top assessor Jon Bennett as he makes his daily ascent of Helvellyn in the Lake ...
    More videos for Fell Top Assessor Helvellyn »
    MyOutdoors | Helvellyn Fell Top weather forecasts saved by sponsors
    www.myoutdoors.co.uk/.../601-helvellyn-fell-top-weather-forecasts-s...
    16 Nov 2011 – After months of uncertainty the Lake District National Park's Fell Top ... in the knowledge that the vital information the fell top assessors collect ...
    My first week as the new 'Fell Top Assessor' » Fell Top Views
    www.lake-district-guiding.co.uk/blog/?p=33
    Block all www.lake-district-guiding.co.uk results
    On the way up Helvellyn. Yesterday was the last day of my first week as the Lake District National Park Authority's new Fell Top Assessor. And what a week
Community Veteran

pierre_pierre,
Sorry, it's an old advert & as you say the job's gone.
Take a look at your old B&W Photo if it includes a picture of AW  (Alfred Wainwright) it might be worth a few bob !!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

several of the group outside Brathay Hall, the Langdale peaks, some with snow on, certainly not AW.. some of the Mountains not sure what.  We went up Coniston, Scafell, Helvellyn
itsme
Grafter

Why is a First Aid qualification required? Are you expected to do CPR on yourself.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
several of the group outside Brathay Hall, the Langdale peaks, some with snow on, certainly not AW.. some of the Mountains not sure what.  We went up Coniston, Scafell, Helvellyn
But not all on the same day ?
Quote from: itsme
Why is a First Aid qualification required? Are you expected to do CPR on yourself.
With that knowledge you might save someone's life. CPR is only one aspect of first aid, knowing how to treat shock, exposure and a variety of other conditions you might come across would be an essential requirement so I guess that's why the need for a certificate.

itsme
Grafter

Sorry but that's not in the job description that you are going to be a first aider to the general public.
Can anyone tell me how to treat someone suffering from hypothermia and shock?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1
itsme
Grafter

Treatment outside suffering hypothermia and shock at the same time.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Gleneagles,  two of the grotty  53 year old pics have Pavey Arch on one and Harrisons Stickle on the other non of the others are labels
both part of Langdale pike

recent internet pics  - Pavey Arch -

Harrisons stickle
Community Veteran

I Know the area well,the photo of pavey arch also includes Jacks Rake which is not as bad as it looks.
itsme
Grafter

Jake's rake done it twice mental note not to do it again.