cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feed Share: what is it?

Tsonga
Grafter

Feed Share: what is it?

I received an email this morning saying: "******* sent you a private message on Feed Share - please respond"
Apparently they've added me as a "friend", and I have to say if I accept.
Is this another kind of Facebook or a virus? Do you have any experience of it?
I have always refused to subscribe to Facebook, as it is really not the kind of thing I can be bothered with (but then I have never been invited to be a "friend" directly by email either). Would I have to subscribe to Feed Share to be able to read this person's message?
Thanks!  Smiley
12 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Feed Share: what is it?

I would say dont touch it  http://infoaxe.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/feedshare-what-are-my-friends-reading-today/
Registrant:
  Lushann Web Technologies LLC
  9962 Brook Rd
  Glen Allen, Virginia 23059
  United States
  Domain Name: FEEDSHARE.COM
     Created on: 23-Sep-03
     Expires on: 23-Sep-10
     Last Updated on: 21-Aug-09
  Administrative Contact:
     Administrator, Domain  
     9962 Brook Rd
     United States
     18049157022      Fax --
  Technical Contact:
     Administrator, Domain  
     9962 Brook Rd
     United States
     18049157022      Fax --
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks Pierre Pierre
So it's a virus is it? Can't tell from the site and I am not sure what your quote means.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no dont think it is a virus, just another facebook type advert  did you look at the link?
Tsonga
Grafter

Ah ok, get it.  Smiley
PS: Had to laugh when I Googled "Feed Share" and the fourth entry was "Feed Share: what is it?". I thought: "Cool, here's my answer!" Clicked on it only to find it was my own thread on this PN Forum!  Cheesy
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
did you look at the link?

Yes I looked at the link but I can' t see whether I need to have my own Feed Share account to be able to read this guy's message, or if it is enough just to sign in. I don't mind registering to see what he has to say, but I don't want to get into the whole thing myself (which I understand is the case with Facebook). I don't want to be on Facebook and I don't want to be on Feed Share and whatever else they will invent next...
Denzil
Grafter

I regularly get invitations to join sites like this from people I know. Usually they are completely unaware what is happening. The site asks for your email login details and then merrily sends invitations out to everyone in your address book. Facebook does this as well - if you join any of these sites, be careful, and read the small print.
Community Veteran

Tsonga
Grafter

Ah, thanks! I suspected it was something like that! I went as far as entering my name (they already had my email address obviously) and a password. When I realised that I then needed to download some software I decided NOT to go for it and closed my browser. I then found that I had an email thanking me for registering. I then logged in to cancel my registration. I can't log in anymore so that worked. I also unsubscribed from their mailing list.
Is there any way that they could have got hold of my contacts somehow? I assume not as I downloaded none of their software, but would be interested to know what you think. Thanks again!
Denzil
Grafter

If you haven't installed anything and haven't given away your email login details then it is unlikely anything bad will happen. Do run up to date virus and spyware checks to make sure the website hasn't done anything sneaky whilst you weren't looking.
Tsonga
Grafter

Hi again! Smiley
Is a Free AVG Antivirus scan going to be enough?
Denzil
Grafter

AVG is good with viruses, but isn't that hot on spyware. Try Malwarebytes as well.
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks!
- A bit surprised to see that I had 69 tracking cookies when Firefox is set to delete cookies when I close it. Any ideas why that might be?
- Malwarebytes yielded one infected item to do with the fact that Windows Updates is set to be OFF. Not sure what it was all about...
Doesn't look like my Thunderbird address book's been touched on the basis of these two scans...