Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with TV presenters...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Fed up with TV presenters...

hogging the show and content...
This Brian Sewell article in today's Mail might ring a bell: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2342912/Fiona-Bruce-paraded-art-expert-Professors-act-like-s...
Must say I agree with much of what says.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
18 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Fed up with TV presenters...

Couldn't agree more.
To think we once had Kenneth Clark, Jacob Bronowski and Carl Sagan on our screens.
It was worth having a TV then, but sadly, no more.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Not forgetting travel shows presented by seasoned travellers like Alan Whicker.
Nature programs presented by experts like David Attenborough.
Now all we get is "celeb" presenters putting on their best surprised faces.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

This is Sewell, the guy that makes a living from spouting pretentious tripe about a pretentious subject and writes for the DM?
Community Veteran

I agree he can be a pompous a** sometimes, but occasionally he can be right, as in this case.
However the thread wasn't about taking swipes at Sewell, it was to do with modern TV presenters being the central feature of programmes rather than the content they are presenting. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shalom2010
Grafter

Just saw  the article, I think it is well written. A good example is both Newsnight + The Daily Politics, where the presenters whilst do in fairness ask good questions they constantly interrupt the answer being given!
They either are not interested in the answer or want to be the centre of attention (I asked the 'killer' question Smiley )
Community Veteran

Yesterday's new BBC Airport Live was a good case in point. I noted several times a presenter describing something that was going on but it couldn't be seen as the presenter was full screen head and shoulders in shot. Just as well Dan Snow was unavoidably absent, now there's a man who loves the lime-light.

nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Petlew
Yesterday's new BBC Airport Live was a good case in point.
That programme took me back in time.
Seeing BOAC/BSAA Avro Yorks and Lancastrians. reminded me of when I used to cycle to Heathrow as a kid. Used to let you inside the planes, at BOAC hanger, provided you didn't touch anything in the cockpit.
We watch a lot of programmes on BBC4 and really enjoy the professors who present them.
Community Veteran

Used to cycle into Heathrow central area, chain my bike to the railings around the control tower, make my way to the roof of the Queens Building and spend many happy hours up their just watching the airport operations. So popular was it that a charge was introduced for it. There was a tea bar and shop that sold all sorts of aviation material.
Ah! those were the days...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Totally agree with the comments about these celebrity presenters. What especially gets up my nose is the questions to which the answer is already known or not long given elsewhere in the program and also when they make statements of the "bleeding obvious"  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Agree as well. Another annoying this is the same thing being said over again following a commercial break.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Anotherone
What especially gets up my nose is the questions to which the answer is already known or not long given elsewhere in the program

By far the worst time of day for this is morning TV from around 09:30 to 13:00, although Watchdog and The "Fake" programme are just as bad. But there are lots of others around especially on Sky Doc's and Lifestyle channels.
It does make you wonder why they do it; theory: that this must be done otherwise the programme would only be ten minutes long.
The other annoyance is splitting a topic into two sometimes three parts, why? can't the topic be done and dusted in one go and move on...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Now you've started on that one, it get's up my nose as well, but SWMBO goes up the wall when they tell you the ending before you've seen the start  Angry
Community Veteran

You mean in the programme introduction and/or titles that actually shows the results and outcome, assuming the viewer can't put two and two together.

Community Veteran

But much worse for repeating things and in my opinion the worst presenter on TV: Dale <has he got a coathanger in his jacket> Winton with the Saturday lottery show.