Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed on Lies.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Fed on Lies.

Are we being fed lies, literally.

Not big on packet foods as the Mrs is even bigger on making and cooking from scratch anything from pies to pasta to pizza - except on the odd occasion such as last night when we had pre-packed duck for dinner and which surprise surprise, looked nothing like the picture on the box.

Have had the same in the past with the worst offender (and why we tend to avoid them) being those tempting looking pizzas which are anything but when taken out of that box.

Taste, size and pictures on menus are something else of course, but what a dumb deal when you can't even get that far without being lied to big time.

Ah well, at least baked beans shown on the tin actually look like baked beans. Thumbs_Up

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Fed on Lies.

I had thought this sort of lying had been stopped way back. Like when Birdeyes first came out with their chicken pies with a picture on the packet that looked nothing like the contents. Thick with tender pieces of chicken and lots of bright green peas. I'm sure something was done for a while, and reported in the papers, but it never lasted.

And not forgetting the bigger "packet". The one with emissions. MPG, and miles per charge. Seems pretty much a free for all now.

Of course nothing like the old American TV ads. Sometimes the ad break is still intact when I download an old program. The claims in some of those ads were really outrageous. And often very funny.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

The food industry does everything they can to stay just within any new laws that are passed, and most of the time manage to lobby successfully for self-regulation ( maybe money changes hands in the form of political party donations ) - and still do their utmost to mislead consumers about the content of food.  Even with the traffic light system ( red, amber, green ) which is supposed to show how high the food is in so called 'bad' things ( fat, salt, sugar, calories ) a lot of makers reduced the serving / package size so that even though the food is high in stuff the smaller serving ( often so small it would not satisfy an anorexic mouse ) and package sizes bring the amount of 'bad' things below the level of red or amber and they get a green.  Many 'low fat' products ( eg. yogurt )  get extra sugar to make the taste acceptable and are higher in calories and worse for you than normal yogurt, with normal levels of dairy fat.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

.... and what's wtih Captain Birds Eye, Mr Kipling, and Aunt Bessie? 

As for that Jolly Green Giant. Roll_eyes 

Highlighted
Pro

Is it just me, or does a lot of this processed, "convenience" food seem to taste of the box it came in?

"Compressed cardboard" flavour I call it. . .

I'm spoiled though because like others my OH is an excellent cook and enjoys cooking, so we eat little "ready food"

I honestly don't think some people know what proper food tastes like, or whether they would actually like it.

This idea is reinforced by a local Chinese takeaway, which changed hands in recent times, and now serves rather bland food, at least some of which seems to be pre-made and microwaved.

At least the chippie we use (and most of the others around as far as I know from occasional visits, serves real potato chips with fresh battered fish, all freshly cooked.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There is another angle to this................the photographer.

Take a genuine photo of what something really looks like and you would soon be out of work.

The photo that makes the product look the best is the one the firm will buy.....

This happens with almost anything you see advertised....

you cannot believe everything  you hear or everything you see !

Is anything really real !Embarrassed

Highlighted
Pro

@gleneagles I think that there's a fine line between photographing something that's actually "how it comes" in the real world, but to the best advantage is one thing. 

Making up something that bears no resemblance to the actual item that the consumer will get, and photographing that is quite another.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

As you say it happens with almost everything, and reminds me of the pre marital painting of the Flanders Mare presented to Henry V111 - who promptly rejected her when he saw the actual 'contents of the package'.

Mind you, with a name like that he should have least have had an idea. Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

There's a whole industry of food stylists who are employed to make a company's food look amazing in pictures on boxes, for TV and billboard adverts and for magazines & other publications, and the methods are disgusting, not morally, but literally, like using engine oil as syrup, tampons soaked in water then microwaved to provide the illusion of steam, chickens painted with boot polish & shined up with glycerine, glue applied to pizza cheese for that extra-stretchy cheese-pull, and even in Campbells' case, glass marbles in their soup to make the vegetables in it move to the surface to make it look packed with veg... Shocked

Well worth looking into if you're interested, it's quite intriguing the methods they use to fool us into buying things based on the pictures, because after all, we eat with our eyes... Grin

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

At least their warning that the product may be hot after heating is spot on!  Where would we all be without such helpful and essential advice?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Jonpe wrote:

Where would we all be without such helpful and essential advice?

I'm guessing that we'd not be wondering what sort of moron wouldn't expect a hot product to be hot, a-la the "McDonalds coffee incident" where a woman put a freshly brewed hot cup o' joe between her legs in a car and spilled it on herself and ended up scalded, and sued the big M for serving freshly brewed hot coffee, because it was hot, as coffee that is freshly brewed tends to be, and she did a stupid thing with the coffee, but then again she was a merkin so litigious society and all........ Crazy2

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Her contention was that the coffee was hotter than industry standard, as far as I remember.

"Though there was a warning on the coffee cup, the jury decided that the warning was neither large enough nor sufficient." (Wikipedia)  Surely the word HOT prominently placed on the cup would suffice.  Making it 'unusually' large would no doubt lead to claims that it caused psychological trauma in customers scared by the oversized warning.

I wonder if there is now a further warning of the dangers of putting hot cups of coffee between your legs, perhaps with a suitable pictogram?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

It just made no sense, I recently watched a video on how the case went along, and it basically was her own fault, but, lawyers and money talk more than common sense, and even the lawyers didn't seem to know what they were talking about either!!! Huh

I'd be rather annoyed if I bought fresh coffee that wasn't hot enough to actually brew properly (resulting in it being skin-meltingly hot, because that's how it is!), given it needs to be done at about 95°C for maximum flavour, but, bowing to stupidity is the way the world goes these days... Crazy2

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Trouble is here in the UK it's dog eat dog from the very top - who happen to frequently be a bunch of crooks. They do not care just as long as "I'm alright" and are happy to force whatever they want on the rest of us without giving a damn.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Parliment being an excellent example of that.......what those at the top get away with you can be sure others will follow.