cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite sweeties?

jmd
Grafter

Favourite sweeties?

Gosh, this article revived memories of Frys 5 centre bar and spangles etc!
see;   http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7423087.stm
I used to love going to sweetshop when I was a child with my 6d [2.5p!] and being able to buy a sherbet dab, some chews, a toffee bar, liquorice  and or Frys Chocolate bar!
don't have "proper" sweet shops now!
33 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Favourite sweeties?

We have a Sweety shop just outside Tesco in the town centre, has rows of Sweety Jars, about 200 of them.
Trouble is my uver alf wont let me buy any Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When we went out to New Zealand last year, our daughter persuaded us to break all the food import rules by demanding a box of Caramac bars from home.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

home made 1d toffee apples, with walnut on top, or two for 1d without..... 2oz of home made liquorice toffee 2d.....4 liquorice sticks 1d...... liquorice root 3 for 6d.... 2oz home made coconut ice 3d ..... sherbert fountain 2d..... 4 gobstoppers  3d  (and they were BIG) ... 2oz lemon fizz sweets from the jar 3d (plus a million other flavours of boiled sweets)

I can still see the little old lady behind the counter in that (coronation street type) corner shop.  She made all the home made stuff.  Tongue Smiley  Tongue    Dark and dingy, wooden counter, wooden floorboards worn down with the feet of thousands of kids from the nearby school. one light bulb hanging in the back of the window to light the window and the shop.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

The sweeties I remember were from my first year at infants school.
The teacher was a Miss Fox.
To reward the kids in her class, who did something to be praised,  she used to open one of those tall sweet jars.
It contained pear drops and the 'good' boy or girl was allowed to select one as their 'prize'.
I shall always remember that jar and those sweets.
I can't recall too clearly that I ever got one of those peardrops.
Fixes: 47

Ice Cream Soda
Rainbow Crystals
Sherbet Lemons
Sherbet Strawberries
...and a special treat when I'd finished my Saturday evening papers and was paid, a quarter of Sugared Almonds.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Caramac and Crunchie for me.
And more recently there was one I can't remember the name of that was sort of brittle almond toffee covered in chocolate.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Think it was just called er! "almond brittle"
How about those odd 1p chews and things.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

Rhubarb and Custard were always my favourite.
Don't see them round much these days.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you're lucky enough to live in Sheffield there's Granelli's sweet shop just off park square roundabout... I dare you to go in there and then claim that there's no more proper sweet shops left.
Failing that, there's always http://www.aquarterof.co.uk
Community Veteran

Quote from: petlew
Think it was just called er! "almond brittle"

Dime bar  Cheesy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_Bar
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry the pic was taken through window, I am not allowed inside (Bull in a sweety shop) this our town centre shop by Tesco front door
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
If you're lucky enough to live in Sheffield there's Granelli's sweet shop just off park square roundabout... , there's always http://www.aquarterof.co.uk

oh orbrey, I forgive you for torturing that kitten!  Is that granelli's near the centre/ near a tram stop? Smiley must remember for when I next visit Sheffield not to go near there!
and the website makes one mouth water!  shame - I am trying to reduce my weight!
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes to both. Park square roundabout is the big one near ponds forge, and is close to the Fitzalan Square/Ponds Forge and sheffield station stops (closer to fitzalan square) but granelli's... well rather than describe it I'll post an image. Yay maps.live.com.
Hope it makes sense. If not, the address is:
66-68 Broad Street, Sheffield, S2 5TG - 0114 272 2981

EDIT: @HPSauce - ARMADILLOS!
Community Veteran

@orbrey Crunchy on the outside!  Crazy