cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite Films

N/A

Favourite Films

I was watching Sleepless in Seattle at the weekend and there is that scene where the women get all maudlin about a Cary Grant Film and the men ditto about a 'man' film.
As can be easily guessed, I absolutely adore said film which has a real 'feel good' factor. I can quite happily watch it all again and I love the scene where the yacht with all the rigging lit up sails by Tom Hanks' deck house.
Just wondered what favourite films/scenes others recall with apologies if this topic has been done before (perhaps worthy of a revisit though).
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Favourite Films

Funny you should mention this, My wife just put on the DVD of one of my favorites; Six days and Seven nights, Harrison Ford, Ann Hecht (who I don't particularly admire as an actress) others I can watch at regular intervals include: Anne of the Thousand Days, Anna and the King (non-musical version of The King and I, with Jodie Foster giving a passable English accent) (strange but not related that those 3 I mentioned have Ann(e) in them!!) and Many others, I usually find the movie we've just finished watching is usually one of my favorites at the time. The other half would watch Air Force One once a week if she could...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

Typical geeky choices for me of Blade Runner and the original Star Wars trilogy.
In fact a lot of trilogies.. lord of the rings, godfather, spiderman.
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

I love Adam Sandler films - particularly Big Daddy.
Hiphop, hiphop, hiphopanomanous...
Dammit - you gave him all the easy ones.
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Got to be The Blues Brothers. The Italian Job (Michael Caine version) also a favourite. I like a lot of the old Ealing Studios comedies such as The Ladykillers.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
jmd
Grafter

One of my many favourite films is "The Mission" with Jeremy Irons and Robert de Niro.  I like the story/scenery and music!  I love the original Italian Job.
Also like a lot of the older films, especially musicals like "South Pacific".
Community Veteran

I'm another Blade Runner geek. Got the full set.  Embarrassed
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Quote from: James_H
I love Adam Sandler films - particularly Big Daddy.

Happy Gilmore's a laugh a minute!  Grin
My fave film of all time would probably have to be Pulp Fiction though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Predictably, I suppose, the chaps are going for violence, gore, SF and laughs (what a contradiction) while the two ladies are altogether of a gentler ilk. Totally agree with jmdlp about The Mission and South Pacific - worth watching for the music alone.
However, there is a bit of crossover as I also love the old black and white Ealing Studios films and have spent many happy hours watching the Star Trek series and can pretty much speak the script (live long and prosper and all that). I can also do the Vulcan greeting but thankfully don't have the ears to match!
Community Veteran

I always have difficulty pinpointing 'favourite' films of mine because I don't really watch that many in the first place. As far as genres are concerned though, I basically like anything that makes me laugh, so I've enjoyed films such as Johnny English, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, and more recently (when a friend suggested I watch her DVD of it), Hot Fuzz. I do occasionally enjoy films of other genres, such as The Shawshank Redemption and Terminator 2, but as I say, comedy's my main interest.

Quote from: HPsauce

Including the Blu Ray version? If so how does it look?
Will Moderate For Thanks
snozboz
Grafter

My favourite film of all time is "Magnolia".  Paul Thomas Anderson directs and Tom Cruise is the big name star in it, but it's really an ensemble piece - lots of "main" characters' stories which weave around, and sometimes link with each other and sometimes don't.  Very moving stories, very interesting and well-acted characters, and also very clever and intelligent cinematography.
And I'm male and I like Star Trek; but this film and other such "good" films are what I like most.
Martin
Fixes: 47

Quote from: adiewoo
Quote from: HPsauce

Including the Blu Ray version? If so how does it look?

Like this
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

You're not meant to tease youngsters  Cry
Just wondered if it was worth getting as well as the DVD version..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I like the spy/ espionage genre. The Bourne trilogy for the modern era but I also enjoy the older films like The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin.