cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite Animal

Fixes: 47

Favourite Animal

Nudged by the mention of spiders in another thread...
What is your favourite animal out of all the world's species?
Mine has to be the snake...I love them.
Many years ago I had a Grass Snake but would love something a little more exotic.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
10 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Favourite Animal

Not sure that you may have incriminated yourself.

How Undecided
Fixes: 125

My favourite animal has to be the tiger.
Sleek, strong with beautiful, piercing eyes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
How Undecided

Grass snakes are protected but not sure whether it's illegal to keep one or just to sell them.

Would that law be 55 years old as that was how far back I purchased my snake from a reputable city centre pet store.
itsme
Grafter

No, law probably came in 1981. Not sure if it's the same law that stopped the keeping of Birds eggs which was also a favourite past time for kids decades ago.

That's a relief Wink
itsme
Grafter

Remind me to go and see if the Slow worms are under the dustbin lid in the garden.

Edit: Saw one but sightings not as common as 3/4 years ago when there were several on a daily basis.
myredhotcar
Grafter

I haven't seen a slow-worm for decades, despite currently living right next door to what I would expect to be an ideal habitat.
My favourite native animal has to be the fox; the field next door has a thriving badger sett and lots of fox activity (which may explain the above). If there are young badgers about I have to keep the dog on the lead at certain times. She has virtually no prey drive and she wouldn't hurt the cubs but badgers are not very good at laying low in my experience like most other wild animals, and are prone to giving their position away when disturbed by crashing through the undergrowth in a blind panic to get back to the sett. Foxes, on the other hand, are exceptionally good at laying low and are canny with it. I have witnessed adult females goading the dog into chasing them (she won't), to lead us safely away from the young and I admire the intelligence involved. 
Conversely, my favourite animal in international terms is the honey badger. Largely because they look - and act - mean enough to be mistaken for biological weapons.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Aberdeen Angus Cows, I really like them, simply impossible to beat, when they are on my dinner plate, medium to well done.
Reminds me of when My daughter had some pet rabbits and went to the library to get a book on them only to discover when she got home that the book was about various ways rabbits could be skinned and cooked. Smiley