cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest Broadband in the country.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fastest Broadband in the country.

Beverley in Yorkshire lays claim to having the fastest Broadband in the country through a company called Kcom.
Speeds are given as 350Mb per second.......... just one hundredth of that speed would do me ! Smiley
6 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: Fastest Broadband in the country.

Yeah, and how much does it cost? It'd be lovely to have. Hell, it'd be lovely to have even FTTC here, but I doubt that'll happen any time soon. That said, with the prices for these things, I'm so often reminded of the days when the first broadband cost, what was it, £40/m; £50/m?  Or was it more than that? Shocked I remember as my connection crawled along at 56k, envying this new-fangled "super fast" thing called broadband, at a 'whopping' ten times faster, and longed for the day when the prices would come down enough for me to be able to afford it.
James
Grafter

I rememeber working for Pipex, when the 2Mbps broadband was £200/mth.  That was in 2001.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I rememeber working for Pipex, when the 2Mbps broadband was £200/mth.  That was in 2001.

Oh, ha. I guess my quoted price (for half a meg) was only from when I was finally brave enough to look at the offers, then (and was still scared by them).
Community Veteran

I think that Kcom is Kingston Communications which is the telephone system for Hull.
Hull telephones are completely independent of BT and have been operating cheaper than BT for donkies years.
See this article in the Yorkshire Post!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I remember when I worked (!) for Edinburgh CC, We installed a 2Mb fixed line (GASP) for the school internet service. (this was for 23 HS & umpteen PS & NS about 30K users!!!) at the time it was blinding fast (<12 years ago) and shocking at the cost BT had to blow a fibre in to the data centre for this to connect to  Cheesy
At the time I had an ISDN line (64K) which was costing £70/qtr with internet at 1p/min. (Although I think I got a deal of £10/year then long time ago)
I still blink at my fibre connection of 75Mb (when I actually use it vs it sitting idle 99% of the time  Lips are sealed), and the 300Mb to the door have me drooling but I couldn’t afford them  Cry