cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Internet in Welsh Cowboy country? No problem.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Fast Internet in Welsh Cowboy country? No problem.

Heol Senni in Wales is more remote than the middle of nowhere, distinguished by soldiers running around with the hill sheep.

However it is blessed with 28 mbps broadband.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Fast Internet in Welsh Cowboy country? No problem.

Ah! But being cynical, if there is an army base close by then maybe BT will have been asked politely to put the infrastructure in for the benefit of the MoD

Steve
Pro

@Minivanman posted that in a post 10 hours ago. 

Minivanman
Hero

@AlaricAdair

I posted and linked that earlier but however....

Our youngest daughters lives just south and on the edge of the Brecon Beacons in a little..... well not even a village and guess what, they get fibre.

It might not have been cheap for BT to beep sheep, but high speed broadband, no problem! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I have to say, it's a non-story really, two-way satellite broadband has been available to domestic and commercial users for years, often times a lot faster than ADSL before VDSL was brought out, and for those out in the sticks, it was that or dialup (or the "half-satellite" service where you sent uploads and your "clicks" out via Dialup, and received the data via satellite on a standard one-way dish), I guess the BBC just were having a no-news day so had to find "something" to publish... Roll eyes

The most well-known supplier of satellite internet is Tooway (hopefully PN won't be annoyed at my mentioning them!), decent prices for light users, not so much for heavy users, but, when there's little choice for those out in the sticks with no fibre, ADSL or 3/4G, it's worth looking at... Smiley

http://www.tooway.co.uk/

Heck, back on 2008 I was ever so close to signing up for them cos there was no decent ADSL where I lived at the time!!

Community Veteran

I bow to your thread Wink

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

@twocvbloke

There was also a subsidy, but only for those who could confirm that BT were not able to connect them by a certain date..... which they said they would, never did, so never got the subsidy........ and I tried after they promised me fibre by March 2014 and only now with the help of plusnet's FTTP trial am I finally up and running.

So well done plusnet and "yah boo sucks" to BT.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

twocvbloke wrote:

I have to say, it's a non-story really, two-way satellite broadband has been available to domestic and commercial users for years,

The most well-known supplier of satellite internet is Tooway 

http://www.tooway.co.uk/

@twocvbloke thanks for that tip!

Last time i looked at satellite internet it still needed a phone line to send the http requests out which would then be served back via the satellite. I had no idea that two way was now available. That fills me with hope of escaping the landline!

Thanks again for the tip!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

7up wrote:

Last time i looked at satellite internet it still needed a phone line to send the http requests out which would then be served back via the satellite. I had no idea that two way was now available. That fills me with hope of escaping the landline!

@7up  Won't you then have another problem - that of getting your landlords permission to attach satellite equipment and cables to their building?

Community Veteran

Concrete a strong 2" pole into the ground (so long as the dish has a good view of the satellites), feed the wires through air vents, no damage caused and no holes drilled... Smiley

DaveyH
Pro

Satellite broadband isn't really fit for purpose. I wouldn't wish it on anyone frankly.

It has monstrous latency, small usage caps, aggressive FUPs,  and is often highly contended/oversold...

Minivanman
Hero

Air vents if you can find one and then get a cable through it, rarely if ever have enough space for that drip loop. Nice idea otherwise Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

RobPN wrote:

7up wrote:

@7up  Won't you then have another problem - that of getting your landlords permission to attach satellite equipment and cables to their building?

Potentially a problem yes but lets face it, trees, fences, vans... they're all pretty unmovable and can have things fixed to them.. I've had to overcome a lot of interesting obstacles over the years so have to look for unusual ways of doing things quite often.

The only one that has really got me stumped at present is how to get an electric wire out of the house to the garage. In the kitchen there are electrical points everywhere so i'm not drilling through that wall. In the living room there is a radiator directly above the back door in my sons room so i'm unsure if any pipes are running down the side of the door. I did try a stud / mains / pipe detector (two infact) but both went mad showing everything was there. Apparently even my plastic tool box had live mains cables inside it. The only other thing I could do is lift the carpet and drill down under / through the floorboards and outside that way but thats serious hassle.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

DaveyH wrote:

Satellite broadband isn't really fit for purpose. I wouldn't wish it on anyone frankly.

It has monstrous latency, small usage caps, aggressive FUPs,  and is often highly contended/oversold...

It's a last-ditch service for those who are on the suffering end of accountants' greed, when someone needs internet access and there's nothing but that or dialup, I'd personally go for satellite, yeah the ping times are terrible (so not good for streaming or gaming), but, better than nowt... Smiley

Community Veteran

I may be wrong, but isn't Satellie download only so you need some kind of separate connection for upload?

Presumably that's what Sky want your box to plugged into a phone line to send them back data.