Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fascinating Unsolved Mystery on BBC Site

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Fascinating Unsolved Mystery on BBC Site

There is a story about the death of an unknown man on the BBC Site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-e8c6cbab-da44-4a3c-8f9b-c4fccd53dd24

Now if he died of strychnine poisoning like it says I'm curious to know why his body was found in the position it was considering the effects that this poison has, maybe it was just coincidence or maybe he knew what he was doing and continually doped himself with tiny amounts so that he could simply lay down and die.

Any other erstwhile or wannabe detectives out there with your thoughts?

6 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser

Re: Fascinating Unsolved Mystery on BBC Site

Mook wrote:

There is a story about the death of an unknown man on the BBC Site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-e8c6cbab-da44-4a3c-8f9b-c4fccd53dd24

Extraordinary story. Quite chilling really. Dually hadn't really grasped how vast the Moors were - stunning photos - a sad reminder of the Moors Murders all those years ago.

Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I can put forward my theory...

He came from the area... as a child at least but left the UK many years ago. Married and lived abroad, had children.

Something happened, his family died. He had nobody left and no-one back home in the UK.

Feeling lost, isolated and unsure what the point of continuing was, he made the decision to travel back to the UK and end his life.. at the spot they found him - presumably this is where he went as a child with a loved one like his father. He wanted to look out across the landscape one final time.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've figured it out; He died...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

That's a good hypothesises as any @7up but what about the position of the body which I find to be extremely odd having died of strychnine poisoning. Taking in to consideration what effects this has on the body the fact that the man remained in the position he did raises a woolly eyebrow for me. It's all very, very strange.

@Penny - A very sad reminder indeed, but is this connected in anyway?

@twocvbloke - +1 for observation.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess 7up is on the right track.

Why he went there and the manner of his death might seem a mystery but until they get more background information on him it will be more difficult to answer the mystery.

For example he might have a history of mental illness, he might have been given news such as the death of someone close to him or news he had some terminal illness etc. Equally he might have just given up on wanting to live feeling life was hopeless.

Why go to that particular place ? Impossible to say, he asked for directions to the top so may not have known that specific area.

No identity might suggest he did not want any relatives or friends to know about it.

What puzzles me is that the police are unable to identify him, fingerprints, dental records, DNA, etc or is it not worth doing these things because it's not a murder case.

You might recall a similar situation which was not a mystery and the reason was known of a senior policeman in Wales who was having an affair and walked up a local mountain whilst consuming a large quantity of vodka and dressed in minimal clothing for that time of year, he was found dead.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mook wrote:

That's a good hypothesises as any @7up but what about the position of the body which I find to be extremely odd having died of strychnine poisoning. Taking in to consideration what effects this has on the body the fact that the man remained in the position he did raises a woolly eyebrow for me. It's all very, very strange.

You'll note I never commented on the poison. I can't explain that (just like the pro's). I can only suggest WHY he went there and decided to die. Not the little technicalities as to how he did so. For all we know he'd got sleeping pills in his bloodstream that would negate the effect of the poison - who knows.

gleneagles wrote:

I guess 7up is on the right track.

Why he went there and the manner of his death might seem a mystery but until they get more background information on him it will be more difficult to answer the mystery.

For example he might have a history of mental illness, he might have been given news such as the death of someone close to him or news he had some terminal illness etc. Equally he might have just given up on wanting to live feeling life was hopeless.

Why go to that particular place ? Impossible to say, he asked for directions to the top so may not have known that specific area.

No identity might suggest he did not want any relatives or friends to know about it.

What puzzles me is that the police are unable to identify him, fingerprints, dental records, DNA, etc or is it not worth doing these things because it's not a murder case..

The story did say the man had no physical illness / disease so we can rule that one out.

The lack of identity.. I don't think he has any family or friends left to worry about him. He's gone to that place to end what is a dull existence. I suspect he didn't bother with ID as he felt insignificant and didn't think anyone would care anyway.

The police can only identify people from records they have. If this man was living abroad with family then there won't be any english records of him on any UK database and thus the police wouldn't be able to identify him.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!