cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Farmer killed by Bull

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Farmer killed by Bull

Sad case of a farmer killed by a Bull......reported in several main newspapers.

Not uncommon when walking across fields on public rights of way to see cattle and even young bulls in the field.

No mention of the farmer having a dog(s) with him but many incidents like this can be caused by people with dogs.

Not always possible to get where you want to go without crossing a specific field, usually I keep close to a wall if possible, better a broken arm or leg falling over a wall rather than the alternative outcome.

7 REPLIES
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Farmer killed by Bull

I found this on the legalities of keeping bulls in land crossed by footpaths. I seems the most problematic are dairy breeds. How that fact helps the majority, who may well believe a bull is a uni-uddered cow is something of a mystery.Grin

Even cows can be dangerous, though.

For all their strength and reputation though, I saw a pic in the news of a bull being led in to the show ring by a just about pubescent girl. She could have been Mary with an oversized lam.

Our deceased friend was a one time farm labourer, he told of a bull attacking his tractor. it was quite a tussle keeping the vehicle upright let alone overcoming the animal.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

A recent episode of 24 hours in A&E featured a woman who'd been attacked by a cow; I think the victim was walking a dog.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

There was an article in one of last weeks Daily Mails on this very subject,

Maybe surprisingly, cows are regarded as Britain's most dangerous animal, I forget the exact figure but, something around 50 to 60 people are killed each year by cows, none by bulls!!.

Most are off-lead dog walkers in fields where there are young, loose running dogs are thought o be seen as a threat and the cows can be very aggressive and protective. The dogs usually get away without a scratch. Most victims are crushed or trampled.

A significant number of farmers are also killed or injured by cows each year.

The article continued that the reason why there are no deaths from bulls is because they are usually confined to fields where there are no passing footpaths    

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern wrote:

... seems the most problematic are dairy breeds. How that fact helps the majority, who may well believe a bull is a uni-uddered cow is something of a mystery.Grin

I guess there may well be some people who are confusied regarding the differences ... remember the 'male cow' in the Boddingtons ads?  Smiley

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

@RobPN Going further OT, in my early married days on the trip to Maidstone we'd pass the Primrose and Len Dairy.

It always amused me. Did the milk taste different according to who supplied it?Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern I'm afraid I can't help you with that, having never tasted bulls milk.  Smiley

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

The difference in the number of attacks between bulls and cows also reflects the fact that cows massively outnumber bulls.  Perhaps the mad in mad cow disease meant mad in the American sense of the word.