cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Farmer fined for allowing apples to drop from trees

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Farmer fined for allowing apples to drop from trees

I was just reading a BBC report about a driver who was fined by a local council for discarding of an apple core in a hedgerow. Heaven forfend that the same official notices that a farmer allows apples to drop from his trees onto the ground. I can see all kinds of queries on this case, e.g. Was the hedgerow on public or private land?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Farmer fined for allowing apples to drop from trees

How did you equate the teacher into being a farmer? Very sharp exageration in this topic.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It is simple my dear  Watson,.
Fruit dropping from trees on to footpaths is not considered to be litter, but it seems someone disposing of an apple core is littering.  Apple cores quickly rot and leave no harm to the environment.
Just imagine some earnest council official deciding to prosecute the owner of fruit trees. Unfortunately it is not unthinkable that this might happen!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I refer you to the actual act  - The Environmental Protection Act 1990 (s.87) states that litter is ‘anything that is dropped, thrown, left or deposited that causes defacement, in a public place’. which in my humble opinion doesn't included leaves, fruit, etc. dropping from a tree
Community Veteran

Maybe he'll appeal - enough to give you the pip Smiley
Fixes: 47

Would Adam of Adam and Eve fame be the first offender Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanb
Grafter

I have in the past wondered if I am risking a litter fine when I brush away dead leaves that have fallen on my car.  Undecided
jim:green moved here as it was way off topic - even for Chit Chat - where it was posted mod:end
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Fruit dropping from trees on to footpaths is not considered to be litter, but it seems someone disposing of an apple core is littering.  Apple cores quickly rot and leave no harm to the environment.

Yes but apples from trees are a naturally occurring thing. There is nothing we can do to change that. To be honest, I've not seen an apple tree overhanging a public place for years.. I thought health and safety had dealt with that threat years ago.
Quote from: Oldjim
I refer you to the actual act  - The Environmental Protection Act 1990 (s.87) states that litter is ‘anything that is dropped, thrown, left or deposited that causes defacement, in a public place’. which in my humble opinion doesn't included leaves, fruit, etc. dropping from a tree

Interestingly your quote doesn't specify dropping by nature or by person. I guess the law must be full of strange things like that.
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanb
I have in the past wondered if I am risking a litter fine when I brush away dead leaves that have fallen on my car.  Undecided
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  moved here as it was way off topic - even for Chit Chat Abu Hamza thread - where it was posted ]

Yes I wasn't quite sure what to make of it in that thread either.. I thought it was a bit out of place too!
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
....  Apple cores quickly rot and leave no harm to the environment....

This is a common misconception. Any organic matter deposited in areas where is didn't come from constitutes nutrient enrichment. Nutrient enrichment is detrimental to some habitat types due to the fact they should be nutrient poor.
Fixes: 125

I doubt if the councils really have any sort of environmental well-being in mind.
These fines are just another way to raise revenue Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Okay - I'll change the story line a bit: "Police fined by Council for littering by  dung left on road by police horses..."
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Quote from: alanb
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  moved here as it was way off topic - even for Chit Chat Abu Hamza thread - where it was posted ]

Yes I wasn't quite sure what to make of it in that thread either.. I thought it was a bit out of place too!

Tweren't my fault. Honest!
There is a bijou buggette in the forum software. If you start reading a thread and decide to log in to make a reply, the log in screen sometimes returns you to the wrong thread. If you don't notice, you end up replying in the wrong thread.
I could have claimed that I was concerned about being extradited for littering - brushing leaves off your car in that way is bound to be illegal somewhere in America!!!! As it is, I'm far more worried now that the mods might use their plenipotentiary powers to have me extradited, (gitmo style,) to their secret prison camp underneath one of the many abandoned steelworks that still exist on every street corner in Sheffield city centre - just for going off topic in the off-topic forum. (I hope I've posted this one in the right thread, or I'm really stuffed.)  Undecided