Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faraday Cage for Car Keys

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Faraday Cage for Car Keys

Videos have emerged of crooks using small hand held transmitters to break into cars without the key and driving away. 

In the UK 85,000 cars have been stolen in 2017 and 70 per cent of the owners of these vehicles still had the key on them. 

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/894213/car-theft-keyless-entry-relay-risk-stolen-Ford-BMW

CAR thieves managed to break into a brand-new £50,000 BMW in less than a minute using a special device bought online.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/866987/car-theft-hack-keyless-entry-video-BMW-stolen

You can buy (or DIY) a "Faraday Cage" to shield your car keys from such devices, or even store your car keys in a microwave (dangerous this), or keep them upstairs...

Or......

This is what we do....

pan.jpeg

We use an old small Stainless Steel pan, with a metal lid, and store car keys in it !!

(The pan, not the lid)

The actual pan we use has long since lost its handle, so is unlikely to be used for cooking !

Tested by placing a mobile phone it it... no signal.

Do you take precautions ?

21 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Faraday Cage for Car Keys

I saw the video @Infinity and was worried

I just asked mr Ebay Thumbs Up and they do sell them Smiley  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?ssPageName=GSTL&_nkw=Faraday%20Cage%20for%20Car%20Keys&rt=nc&LH_Pr...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Useful for when you are out & about.

We also have hidden deadlock switches fitted to our ignition systems, plus visible mechanical deterrents.

I wonder how the crooks disable the factory fitted ignition key steering wheel locks ?

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 4

My Merc with keyless go allows you to switch the keys off - quick double press on the lock button. You do have to remember to physically press a button to reactivate the key before the car will respond to it. Mercedes sell it as a way of saving the key batteries, but it is equally useful as a second level of security - no need for a faraday cage!!

The start/stop button plugs into the ignition key slot - take that out and the keyless system is disabled.  

@Infinity if you have keyless go there is no physical  lock -or it is electrically operated. Key in pocket/handbag, climb into car, press Start button - away you go. If you can fake/extend the key transmissions from the house they the car is yours.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Infinity wrote:

I wonder how the crooks disable the factory fitted ignition key steering wheel locks ?

Dealer skeleton keys, it's a well-known criminal activity and one that's difficult to defend against without looking to the past and the security devices that used to be common and slapping a steering wheel lock bar thing on the wheel like the pic below:

291166.jpg

PowerLee
Rising Star

One of the issues with modern car security is - thanks to the EU anti competition laws, car manufacturers are not allowed to lock out access to the cars on board electronics systems via the EOBD diagnostic port.

Its so independent garage / repairers have free access to the cars on board electronic systems.

Knocking out the CAN connections to the EOBD port will stop a lot of these thefts - a Thatcham cat 2 transponder immobiliser fitted to the CAN wires is an easy way of doing it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Infinity wrote:

You can buy (or DIY) a "Faraday Cage" to shield your car keys from such devices, or even store your car keys in a microwave (dangerous this), or keep them upstairs...

Or......

This is what we do....

pan.jpeg

We use an old small Stainless Steel pan, with a metal lid, and store car keys in it !!

(The pan, not the lid)

The actual pan we use has long since lost its handle, so is unlikely to be used for cooking !

Tested by placing a mobile phone it it... no signal.

Do you take precautions ?

Rather an extreme form of security..... why not just wrap them up in Baco foil.... takes up much less space.... AND... you can even leave them in your trouser pocket/ or ( if you are female ) your handbag/purse  !

Simples... Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I knew a guy years ago who would religiously take out his ht leads from his car. Perhaps unsurprisingly he never had a car theft.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

My dad often wired in hidden switches (usually in the glove compartment!!) that disabled the power to the ignition coil, so the engine would turn over, but not start, though given some of the cars he had it was hard to tell whether the switch was immobilising or if the thing had actually broken down... Funny

Community Veteran

All that money spent on what are luxury cars and the security leaks like a sieve.

Next to them smart meters will be a doddle if it ever becomes worthwhile for crooks.

Champnet
Rising Star

I used to keep a spider wheel spanner in the boot. In less than a minute I could remove the steering wheel.

Wonderful deterrent......

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Must admit on all my older S3 landys always had a switch on power to HT coil Thumbs Up few years ago now

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Champnet wrote:

I used to keep a spider wheel spanner in the boot. In less than a minute I could remove the steering wheel.

Wonderful deterrent......

Very Mr. Bean solution there... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

For the handymen amongst us: http://mumetalfoil.co.uk/mu-metal-foil-stock-range

Line a box with mu-metal foil, including the lid.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I really am surprised at the level of security that big old fashioned metal cooking pot can give to car keys...

and even the work involved, ( let alone the cost of materials ) in @AlaricAdair post above....

when all you need is an empty margarine/butter ( depending on your financial status ! ! )... tub, and some baco foil, cut to size, and stuck in with UHU glue.   ( don`t forget the inside of the lid piece ! ! )..