Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic Plastic alternatives

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Fantastic Plastic alternatives

The world's first plastic free supermarket aisle where packaging is made from sugar and wood pulp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5488651/JANE-FRYER-visits-worlds-plastic-free-supermarket-...

8 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Fantastic Plastic alternatives

I'm sure I read something similar a little while back, although it would not have been in the Daily Mail Wink

But what an interesting idea and one that hopefully takes off and flys - although with the best will in the world it will probably only stay parochial - the likes of Tesco and others will make sure of that.

Funny enough, it's only lately that we have changed from buying milk in cartons or plastic bottles to glass, and loose tea instead of tea bags once we realised they were made of some sort of product that does not rot down - not in our compost bin anyway. Everything else yes, but those little blighters are still intact after a couple of years and we were having to fish them out.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran

One issue that using wood pulp brings up, is the use of wood pulp, cos, it does indeed grow on trees unlike money, and to make the vast amounts of packaging to replace plastic would require to planting and clear-cutting of a lot of trees, resulting in another set of lobbyists going after that for it's excessive tree use (and probably bringing back the issue of rainforests being cut down to make said plastic replacements)...

That said, the wood pulp plastic isn't new, previous "natural plastics", with a marketing name of Tenite, have been made for decades, the only downside to it is as one particular type (Tenite Butyrate) ages, it releases a terrible yet familiar smell of butyric acid, which gives cheese, vomit and foot odours their unique pong... Grin

I ought to know, I have a couple of american telephones (Western Electric model 500) that have that as the plastic, and the red one, boy does it stink... Shocked

Community Veteran

i don't get why supermarkets don't simply put a pile of empty boxes near their entrance. That's all I use in my main shop. Just stick a couple of empty boxes in the trolley and that's it.

They save money and the shopper saves money, win win.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Not easy though is it sorting out a weeks shop into different sized boxes. 

We just use the same bags each week.....  and those boxes (which our local mini supermarket provides) for when we forget to get them out of the back of car. I do remember though going with my old Mum to pick up our (thirty bob a week) shopping from the grocer and he'd have packed it into a couple of cardboard boxes. Bacon (post rationing and when we could afford it), butter and cheese came wrapped in grease-proof paper I think it was, and meats in newspaper - all of which gave us nothing more that a dustbin full of rubbish at the end of the week - and half of that was ash from the coal fire. Veg was always sold loose, and salad such as it is sold t'day was unheard of.   

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 2

And the washing lines full of terry towel nappies Smiley

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Many years ago there was a Kwik Save/Somerfield supermarket in this area, and they would have cardboard boxes available for customers to take their shopping home in.  They were the first supermarket I know that charged for plastic carrier bags, at the rate of 1p!

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Carlsberg to replace plastic ring can holders with recyclable glue.

The company says the dots of glue bonding its new "Snap Packs" are strong enough to withstand the journey from the shelf to the living room, but are brittle enough to easily break when twisted.

https://news.sky.com/story/carlsberg-unveils-magic-glue-for-multi-pack-beer-cans-to-cut-plastic-poll...

Community Veteran

What's wrong with the simple thin cardboard surround/holders. Many multi packs I buy come like that and have been like that for years. No plastic involved.

They don't get a pat on the head for that but Carlsberg seem to think they should be praised for their late in the day efforts.

Look at us we've been making a mess for years but we are going to stop soon. Well whoopee do where shall we pin the medal? That would of course be on Carlsbergs advertising managers chest.