cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fancy yourself as a trucker? -Try Germany !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Fancy yourself as a trucker? -Try Germany !

Germany is crying out for truckers, apparently.... they can`t get enough of them ... and people just don`t want/fancy a truckers life !..
Mind you... to get "certified",... you need 8,000 euro and 3 yrs training.... !..
Read all about it ..... here...  http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-29/germany-wants-more-truck-drivers
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Fancy yourself as a trucker? -Try Germany !

3 years?
No wonder they're struggling..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

They need to talk to Edie Stobbard.  In a recent TV series he had no problem with getting people to drive his trucks.
Community Veteran

The reason being?  English trucking is easy .... basically, you need to be able to drive... then go on a 6 week "conversion" course, which teaches you how to handle a big truck, and how to rope up, or load it, get you through a test..  and away you go.... Truckin` your life away... ( cost about £4,000)... ( and you can pay that  AFTER you have got your first job... ).
In Germany... the rules and regs are much more important... see the original linky for what they need to know, before they get out on the road proper....  Much Tougher...
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
They need to talk to Edie Stobbard.  In a recent TV series he had no problem with getting people to drive his trucks.

Eddie Stobart is no longer running the company himself!

My neighbour is a lorry driver and he did it all in a few weeks moons ago.
Community Veteran

Yes I know it's been discussed on the forums before.  It's now run by his sons AFAIK.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
The reason being?   English trucking is easy ....

Not for long though. Bus coach drivers have had to have CPC certificate by September this year to conform to European regs. HGV will have to follow suit by March (I think) 2014. When all European large vehicle drivers will achieve common standards. So I don't think there will be any difference between us and them then.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Razer
Grafter

Does part of the course cover eating all the pies and where to buy 'XXX large' clothes?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Quote from: shutter
The reason being?  English trucking is easy ....

Not for long though. Bus coach drivers have had to have CPC certificate by September this year to conform to European regs. HGV will have to follow suit by March (I think) 2014. When all European large vehicle drivers will achieve common standards. So I don't think there will be any difference between us and them then.

Which seems absurd considering the state of some of the foreign lorries that come here with drivers who cause accidents on our roads. If they think they're bringing us up to some sort of high standard they need to have a serious re-think. We have some of the best standards for safety in the world. Just look at the recent spanish train crash as an example.
Community Veteran

Sorry, Sprite.... your posting is bundling the standards of German Truckers with east european, and other countries, that do not have the same high standard course. 
as an aside.... Was the bloke driving the spanish train,really a trucker...... ?  Cheesy