cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Famous Encounters

Fixes: 47

Famous Encounters

Which people have you met who have subsequently gone on to fame and fortune.
I have met Joe Cocker on a number of occasions when he visited a friend in Sheffield who subsequently went on tour with him. That friend is now regularly on tour with Eric Clapton as keyboard player.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
40 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Famous Encounters

I had the misfortune to sit next to Tim Mallet on a delayed flight back from Jersey
N/A

Who's Tim Mallet?  Huh
I once bumped into Nora Batty (Kathy Staff) at a fete just outside Huddersfield.
Then I was a few feet away from Princess Anne at a charity do. Don't know if they count though because I didn't actually get to speak to them. 
When I was growing up Joe Cocker and Dave Berry lived a short distance from us and we were very proud of their success, although can't say that I was ever really enamoured of either of them really.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Lurker
Grafter

I watched the Grand National stood next to a certain Mr Allardyce* this year.
Don't think it counts as he's already pretty famous, and I imagine he has a few quid spare too.
*On the off chance he reads this board: Sorry you missed the race, but it was important that I got your autograph for my godson. Tongue
The Wife tends to meet more famous people though, including Davina McCall, Girls Aloud, Ainsley Harriot, Gordon Ramsay,James Cracknell, Pele, and Simon Rimmer, to name but a few.
Oh, I met Sir Michael Parkinson last year - but again, not sure *any* of these actually count towards the question asked. Sad
Fixes: 105

My waste of space headmaster went on to be the waste of space Education spokesman for the Liberal Democrats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Willis
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

So for a time they had an Education spokesman who knew twice as much about Education as the usual Education spokesmen!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

Probably... still didn't fill me with confidence  Huh
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

Infamy more like.
A close university friend (who I lost touch with years ago) went on to have a major hand in ruining a large financial institution and lose a lot of ordinary people a lot of money but got a nice early pension himself.
And no, it's not "Fred the shred" - this was quite some time ago now. Better remain nameless though as it reappeared in the news recently.  Crazy
Tyreal74
Grafter

Only ever met Sean Bean, David Batty, Sir Jackie Stewart and Def Leppard and the lead singer of Lost Prophets Ian Watkins who bought me a drink lol
Community Veteran

Oh dear, where do I start.....
Gerry Anderson - had lunch with him the other day.  Lovely chap, profoundly deaf and insisted on calling me Larry.  My dad was extremely jealous when I called him afterwards Wink
Ronnie Johnson - I work with him daily as our musical composer for the studio!
Iain Smith our executive producer and chairman.
Also, Paul Hitchcock, Ian McKellan, The Hamster, Phill Jupitus.
I'll stop now... and perhaps hide... in a cave... :0
B.

Barry you're disqualified  Tongue
Quote from: Strat

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Probably doesn't count either but, my time in Heathrow Terminal 4 was at the time of Concorde twice daily, so encountered any number of celebs, most just wanted to get through security as quick as possible, although there were some pleasant (and some not so pleasant) exceptions. Most affable was without doubt Dustin Hoffmann, worst by a long way was Diana Ross and her celebrated "I will not be frisked" tantrum (she was)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
randpwar
Grafter

Slightly off topic as he was already famous of course but my 5 year old daughter gets invited to Jasper Carrott’s grand daughter’s birthday party, as they used to attend the same pre-school, usually held at his house. He wasn’t there the first year but I remember being followed by a mob of 3 year old girls running around his garden pretending to push over the trees. He was there last year and he chatted very pleasantly even though he was a bit down about his football team getting relegated (don’t know a fat lot about footie but I’m presuming he supports one of the Birmingham teams). I remember thinking, as I was reversing out of the gates onto the road with him guiding me out, my next year’s car insurance will be very expensive indeed if I get this wrong and flatten him!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

going back a few years, a group of us were staying at what was a trust house hotel in Frimley, (had some connection with shepherd the painter), we had several cars, and went oy in one for a meal elswhere, cme back late and found our cars missing and the name of the hotel changed, went in to the bar and all the crew of Z  cars were their, joined in with drinky poos