cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Tree question

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Family Tree question

I have a grand-daughter, who has just got married..... So, her husband is now a "grand-son-in-law" Correct?
Now the question is.... what relationship are his parents to us?  Undecided
and

does that mean any children he had prior to the marriage, are now our great grand-children-in-lawHuh??  Undecided Undecided
15 REPLIES
Fixes: 102

Re: Family Tree question

Are his parents any relation to you?
What are the relation between my in laws and my parents?
Must admit I'd never thought of it before..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Not something that you should need to be to worrying about for some time  Wink
Fixes: 102

Very true.  I'll let the elder statesmen of the forum worry about it  Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

I usually have a mental block about nephews, nieces and cousins so it's no good asking me Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Well, a friend of mine who married someone when she was 30, who was 15 yrs older and who had been married before so his first lot of offspring were married and had children after the second wedding, considered her self as the grandmother - and that is what they called her!  Even though they were not much younger than the children she had.
Hope you can understand that as just reading it through it may be confusing but I blame that on an overdose of chocolate.  Smiley
Community Veteran

No.... his parents are not related to us in any way......except this marriage......It is even more confusing as he is in his mid 40`s and she is 25 !!!. so it seems a little weird calling someone his age a "grandchild"..!!  (especially so, when he is the father of our GREAT grand-daughter !!!.)  so you see where I am coming from.Huh
His parents would be her grandparents, but we are her great grandparents.... and that is where the question really arises from!!
I thought I would pose the question on here, with the widest possible amount of knowledgeable persons on here, the answer would be easy to come by....
Oh well.... time will tell....
Community Veteran

Yes, Josie, it is confusing....  Undecided
Community Veteran

That really depends on whether you have any ancestors in common or believe in keeping everything within the family  Wink Cheesy
Community Veteran

Apart from adam and eve, I doubt it very much.............. it is not a "serious" family tree question, just curiosity.... most people like to know whether they have first cousins once or twice removed (whatever that means)  and I just wondered what their "relationship" would be to us, considering their current family make up....!
Community Veteran

So, C`mon, chaps, (and chap esses) I thought someone would be able to work it out.....  Roll eyes Undecided Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Gery, I inherited a large family tree from my now deceased Uncle - over 700 people so had plenty to experiment on. I have several books and Programs, they all go down to great great great grandchildren,  and cousins, nieces nephews, 3, 4th and removed.  But none of them have any name for the spouses,  Just John jack Fred Ted etc..
I have two charts of nieces etc, can scan the for you if you are interested.  I also get muddled up with cousins, nieces and nephews so may take a copy from the book and put it in my wallet for when the SWMBO talks about her 14 children ancestor relative, some still alive
Community Veteran

Yeah! Pierre, as I said, not that deep a discussion really,  just a sort of "nag" in my head.... I mean, I know who my relatives are back to my great grandfather, on both sides of the family,  As mentioned in the PM, my sister did some research, and found out we are related to Captain Cook,  but I haven`t bothered about it any further... it was just " I wonder what relationship his parents are to us.... " thought, so I posted the question on here...
jazz
Grafter

I think the answers are: -
His parents are no relation of yours, they are only related to your granddaughter by marriage and not to any other family member. 
His prior children are no legal relation of yours either (unless your granddaughter legally adopts them in which case they would become great grandchildren of yours)
Hopefully though they will all become friends, which is even more important!!
Community Veteran

Thanks Jazz..... I didn`t expect a "legal" link..... just the sort of "courtesy" side of the equation .... but as you say... hopefully friendly relations !!!