Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake news from the press, surely not?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Fake news from the press, surely not?

No wonder Pope gets his cassock in a twist, never had him down as a reader!

15380459_1073954932730295_910988422491849032_n.jpg

https://www.ft.com/content/ccc153e4-bcc6-11e6-8b45-b8b81dd5d080

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Fake news from the press, surely not?

Now this is most unusual but I am sticking up for the above paper in an article it has printed today... not sure if the same article is online.

It relates to a number of those who were children 50 years ago and the conditions they lived in, the photographs convey much even before you read the article, outside toilets, severe poverty,only a single set of clothes to wear and often hunger. Some of you may either have been in this situation or knew people who were, if not consider yourself lucky.

The point is that following the last war the country was financially broke and many people lived in conditions that were very similar to the slums of the victorian period but the myth has developed that retired people or those nearing retirement have never had it so good but many deserve to have it good after living through that period but sadly there will be many who had it bad then and if trying to exist on only a state pension are continuing to have it bad now.

Anonymous
N/A

@gleneagles

It is indeed online - and very interesting. (And I am no fan of the Daily Mail!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4015704/The-slum-children-Swinging-Sixties-grew-Dickensian-p...

I grew up with an outside toilet and a bath in the kitchen, and lived to tell the tale. While I wouldn't particularly want to go back to those times, I sometimes think younger generations today expect too much as a 'right'. And some things were, in my opinion, better then. Playing out on the streets with friends must be better for you than sitting at home playing games / facebooking on a tablet!

Minivanman
Hero

Well I see nothing there that you could not easily find today, and how on earth can you blame some or even all of those living conditions on a war that ended twenty years earlier?

Take the first image.... fresh off the boat, six kids, and without two pennies to rub together. Well there's a surprise. 

We had little as kids back in the 50s but Mum kept the home clean and tidy and Dad made sure it was kept in good order even though it was rented. Not all roses and sunshine and can remember not being able to go to school because I had no shoes and an evening meal of tinned spaghetti on toast. We can bend over backwards to help out people sixty years later, but they'd still rather sit on their rears, live in pig sty, and blame it all on somebody else and that my friend, is just a rotten fact of life.

Look, and papers like the Mail will find poverty in any age and under any excuse and all to provide a knee jerk reaction from it's readers. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Anonymous
N/A

I assumed the article was aiming to show the enormous progress the UK has been able to make as a member of the Common Market/European Union.

Minivanman
Hero

I'd have thought not given that the Mail was pro Brexit - "If you Believe in Britain vote Leave" June 22.

My point here is one of bias and misinformation which is not easy to separate if you agree with one view but are against another from the same source. The other point I was trying to make is that poverty is not synonymous with the symbols of poverty as reported and displayed - and papers such as the Mail are well aware of that..... or at least they should be.

I can still remember feeling shocked as a ten year old to hear one of our teachers tell us "never believe what you read in the papers". 

Community Veteran

@Minivanman

I agree it is hard to know what to believe, even when you think you know all the facts, one point in particular made me think in regard to that article where one person blamed their mother for the conditions they had to live in, only to realise later in life his mother was powerless to do anything about it.

Community Veteran

notinmyname wrote:

I assumed the article was aiming to show the enormous progress the UK has been able to make as a member of the Common Market/European Union.

And in 10 years time their will be an article to show how much better we have done after leaving the common market/European Union.

Wink

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

notinmyname wrote:

@gleneagles

It is indeed online - and very interesting. (And I am no fan of the Daily Mail!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4015704/The-slum-children-Swinging-Sixties-grew-Dickensian-p...

I grew up with an outside toilet and a bath in the kitchen, and lived to tell the tale. While I wouldn't particularly want to go back to those times, I sometimes think younger generations today expect too much as a 'right'. And some things were, in my opinion, better then. Playing out on the streets with friends must be better for you than sitting at home playing games / facebooking on a tablet!

Me too! And didn't we have to wrap up, because the only heating was a coal fire, fed by an inadequate ration.

My wife,whose parents had a nice 3 bedsemi in south London, evacuated to two rooms in a backward Nothants village.

Looking back I'n not sure we felt deprived .

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Does anyone remember Wit Sunday new clothes, and going round the street showing them off to the neighbours and hopefully getting a treat. 

Anonymous
N/A

New clothes? Wow, your family must've been well off!

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

No Sir?Madam, my father used to purchase a  "club check" to buy them,and pay it off weekly.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So the credit debt problem's quite an old one then... Grin

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Community Veteran

New clothes these days.....no problem.

swmbo worked for a large catalogue company, people would order clothes, wear them and then return them for some reason, wrong size, colour, etc.

It was not uncommon to find confetti, tissues, bus ticket and other things showing they had clearly been worn.

notinmyname wrote:

New clothes? Wow, your family must've been well off!