Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake face mask?

pkw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fake face mask?

I've just bought a mask that claims to be genuine KN95 but am suspicious. There's no certificate number or anything on it. Only says KN95. Cost me £5. Have I been sold a fake?

53 REPLIES 53
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Fake face mask?

Depends on whether you bought it from a reputable seller. But, if it's covering your mouth and nose then I  wouldn't be too concerned. 

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pkw
Rising Star

It's a corner shop that normally sells phones and electronics. But I saw them advertised on posters in several places. I was under the impression that if it claims to be KN95 it should have certification/number on it. £5 is a lot to me. I can get disposable ones at work for free. But I wanted something for travel and expected it to be of a high standard. He said it's also washable which I doubt. I still have the receipt and it's in a sealed bag.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep I need to get a better one. The cheapo 1 paaand one felt like I couldn't breathe. I get buses mainly, and yes that did freak me out.

I will walk up the village in a moment and see if I can find a better one. I would be sarcastic and say "I am not holding my breath". The one I have literally does do that to you. Not a nice experience.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

If it's any consolation I bought a face covering for over a tenner online, just a face covering, I wore it once and it's broken already, big split down the nose. So if you get more than one use out of it you're not doing too badly 😃

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pkw
Rising Star

I'll try to return it. I saw a bag of 2 fabric ones in Poundland for £2 the other day. I'd trust them more than this one.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I bought a pack of 10x facemasks from tesco this morning for £6.50 just to have on hand (and incase my "terrorist-look" with my snood is offensive to some!!!), no claim of being KN95 rated (states "Non-medical use" on the certificate in the pack), but I'd be wary of cheap N95-type masks from a mobile phone shop any way, they tend to buy cheap tat from online sources like aliexpress, which isn't always the best source for genuine goods...

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep mine should last until tomorrow, when I have to use the bus.

I have to go to a bigger high street near me, and I have to pick an item up. No problem. I will see what they have there.

There are a few other masks I can think of, one will mean you look like you're comitting an armed robbery. The other would look like you're sexually perverse. Imagine wearing those on public transport.

Sorry my sense of humour so I'd better shut up. Anyway being serious, if I can find one that lets me breathe I'll be quite happy. As The Bee Gess said "Ha Ha Ha Staying Alive".

pkw
Rising Star

Well, I managed to get my money back. The seller showed me a certificate from a Chinese company, but there was no way to tell that it actually related to the mask as it had no label etc. The cert can be verified online but you have to register first. I left it at that.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

Yeah, sounds like a dodgy deal if they're showing a separate certificate with no connection to the mask, the pack I got this morning has the certificate (though not really confidence-inspiring) sealed inside the pack, so they're I guess what they say they are:

May contain nuts...May contain nuts...

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I expect a lot of shops won't want to turn non mask wearing customers away. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a pile of free masks appearing next to shops hand gel stations at their entrances.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

You can pick them up 5 for £20 in your local chemist, even cheaper if you buy more.

I reckon the shop just boght a load of them and selling them for a small profit.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

@Mustrum wrote:

You can pick them up 5 for £20 in your local chemist, even cheaper if you buy more.

Is that 5 masks or 5 packs?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

They're pennies in some supermarkets unless we are talking about masks with fancy graphics on them.

pkw
Rising Star

@twocvbloke Yeah, these are the kind we use at work (social care). I was looking for something re-usable with good filtering (hence KN95) which also allows you to breathe for extended periods. The disposable ones are fine for going into a shop but not great for sitting for hours on a train or plane.