cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 Abound

TORPC
Grafter

Fake Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 Abound

[quote=http://blog.malwarebytes.org/security-threat/2014/05/fake-malwarebytes-anti-malware-2-0-abound/]A month after Malwarebytes CEO Marcin Kleczynski announced the launch of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0, we already started seeing fake executable files purporting to be free versions of our product being hosted on unfamiliar sites.
samples

A small sample of rogue files we found in the wild
Upon testing, we found that these files have common behaviours: they all enable themselves to run whenever Windows is restarted or the system is turned on and they’re capable of accessing private information that browsers store whenever we go online, such as data pertaining to cookies, browsing history, and list of restricted sites. These files also create the following noteworthy registry keys upon installation:

2 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: Fake Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 Abound

Thanks for the heads up - I actually use Malwarebytes as one of my back ups to AVG  Shocked
I'll be careful how I upgrade ..
Fixes: 125

Re: Fake Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 Abound

I still don't understand why anyone want to download from anywhere other than the official site for software.
That aside, I didn't know there was a new version - downloading it now. I hope they haven't messed things about too much like Safer Networking did with SpyBot 2!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still