cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Bomb Detector. (bomb detector that is fake)

Fixes: 47

Fake Bomb Detector. (bomb detector that is fake)

Am i missing something here but a person sells bomb detectors to large organisations around the world and nobody thought to check the device's effectiveness before putting it in the field Shocked
Edit: Title expanded to help with interpretation Tongue
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
18 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Fake Bomb Detector.

Don't think you're missing anything  Wink
How nobody tested one of the devices beggars belief. What a salesman the chap was.
Community Veteran

My thoughts exactly when I heard it on the News earlier today.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

He was selling to corrupt agents who were also getting their cut.
Hopefully those criminals will be brought to justice by their own countries.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Thread title had me wondering why anyone would need to detect fake bombs.  Haven't seen the news today so I'll be watching for this when I do.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23768203
Community Veteran

..............a nice little earner Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Shouldn't some of those who bought these be prosecuted for stupidity?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

Some poor guy steps on a land mine and loses a leg.
Some procurement officer back home says "how's that possible, he had a detector with him?"
Thunderclap
Grafter

What possibly happend was a borred bomb tech in Basra took the box apart and found inside nothing but a transistor radio aerial and the RFD tag from a library book. Then the conversation went, oh s*** oh s*** ih S***, it doesn't work! Quick inform someone else  Then... someone else, possibly the Pentagon called and said, yeh we know it's a piece of solid state c***, but Al Queda doesn't know it's a piece of solid state c***. Sorry, said the guy holding the screwdriver, it's a fake. Bombs are not being detected. People are dying. The someone else laughed and told him, this is Iraq, if Muslims live outside the Green Zone they expect that. The guy pointed out that these detectors are used  on all Green Zone checkpoints to protect diplomatic and Haliburton staff. After a pause, the someone else responded, do you know how much these things are costing the tax payer? That's got to be some deterant in the war on terror?
Cool Follower of the Profit Moneyhamed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

When I saw this on TV I couldn't believe that a device with an antenna was supposed to detect a bomb. How would you detect semtex or TNT using a radio receiver? You wouldn't. I think some people (authorities) have been made to look incredibly stupid. The guy who did this was very clever although a conman, he's shown up the security forces across the planet as gullable and stupid for even believing this device would magically work.
With that said, I'm off to build my rail road vibration detector using a TV IR remote..  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I remember watching about this on some investigative program well over a year ago.
The program exposed the device as a sham and I can't understand how this has dragged on so long.
The only plus point was the device came in a nice box though, and you had a very expensive choice of detection addons.
All guaranteed not to work. Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This is the END of a very old story.... I thought Strat had revived a thread when I saw the title... I am sure it has been discussed on here before.....
Here is a quote from strats linky...

In 2010, a Home Office defence expert tested Bolton's GT200 detector at the request of the Office of Fair Trading and found it had "no credibility as an explosive detector" because it had no functioning parts.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Maybe they had bomb detector spells cast on them. Witchcraft is not highly researched nowadays. It may the negative energy projected by sceptical  scientists rendered the devices less sensitive.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

It's not a new story as there was I believe a journalistic investigation of some sort a while ago.
It's back in the news because of the sentencing.
An earlier link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-22532249