cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fact or Fiction

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Fact or Fiction

I wonder why so many people are prepared to accept fiction as fact when the evidence proves otherwise ?

For example whilst there is much we do not know about the universe the known facts are that it started with the big bang and has been expanding ever since, the shift in colours as seen through telescopes can give a good indication of the speed and other factors about the universe.

CERN is looking at what happened a few seconds or milliseconds after the big bang, will they succeed ? who knows but they have some of the brighest people either working on it or associated with it.

It's not uncommon for some to take what's known as fact and speculate on what is going to happen and this then turns into fact for some, sounds great their may be worm holes and parallel universes but these are just figments of the imagination.

The difference between humans and animals is that we have a greater memory capacity and we are creative, what we create might be bad eg: weapons to kill others, equally we create a lot of good things. The problem with creativity is that it can also take us into a world of fantasy and some cannot tell the difference between fact and fiction.

So do you take issue with any of these points ?

NB: Thought it would make a change from talking about toilets.

Smiley

6 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Fact or Fiction

gleneagles wrote:

The difference between humans and animals

Should be "The difference between humans and other animals" as we are, of course a species of animal Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Strat From one pedant nitpicker to another, I'm sure everyone knows what gleneagles means. It's good to know your 'pickery is superior to mine.Grin

Be it man or beast in view, what surprises me more and more is man's modern discoveries that the intelligence of living creatures, specially in problem solving, is higher than thought, and that ancient societies were more developed too.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Fixes: 47

Luzern wrote:

@Strat From one pedant nitpicker to another, I'm sure everyone knows what gleneagles means.

I've met quite a few people who firmly believe we are not animals and that animals are a lower form of life.

It's a pet subject (no pun intended).

But we digress Lips are sealed

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

You are both being kind to me on this subject I expected to get more, 'stick' over this topic.

Time for that yet,I suppose.

Smiley

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

The difference between humans and animals is that we have a greater memory capacity and we are creative

Some animals have a very good memory and lots of creatures are creative. I think one of the biggest differences between "humans and animals" is empathy. We care for other creatures as well as each other. Though of course there are some exceptions to that.

Community Veteran

@billnotben

Some animals may have a good memory when compared to other animals but no animal has a memory anywhere near the memory of a average human.

The same with animals being creative but the same point applies, many animals have been on the earth longer than us and adapted over the centuries but none are anywhere as creative as us.

Empathy is a interesting one, some animals appear to show empathy