cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook could close?

Big_Jay
Dabbler

Facebook could close?

Highly unlikely to be honest, but all over the news this morning that the creator of facebook is up in court this morning in Boston (America not Lincolnshire hee hee) thanks to his peers. Apparently he worked with them while at Harvard on U-Connect, completely unpaid. They claim he stole there ideas during this time then went off an launched facebook.
Lets face it, if this comes off then Amazon will sue Play.com for starting sales of second hand video games, or even better in the real world, Teco will sue Asda (Walmart) for stealing their idea for having a giant supermarket.
Can't see him losing somehow but what does everyone else think?
15 REPLIES
Tamlyn
Grafter

Re: Facebook could close?

I had assumed there was reused code involved in the dispute. If it's just the idea he 'stole' then it does seem a bit silly.
pdavidson
Grafter

I think that as long as there was no contract covering intellectual property while he worked with them and as long as they have no copyright/patent on the idea then they don't have a leg to stand on. I could be wrong but I don't see how else they can fight a case like that.
It's obviously spawned by jealousy, quite sad really Sad
kate

There's been lots of cases like this before...can you get sued for stealing an idea? According to the UK courts...NOPE well at least not one case has been brought where someone had taken your idea.
If you have a copyright or patent then its a different ball game but suing someone for using a fundamental idea or practice that you might have come up is very very unlikely
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: Tamlyn
I had [Censored]umed there was reused code...

Maahahaha! profanity filter being a bit overzealous there I a s s u m e?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Has someone tweaked the profanity filter as the "assumed" is now back.
And so is the profanity in Chillypenguin - Forum rules in depth
The forums are moderated by customers, namely John (John_Essex), Roger (rogerloxton), James (James_H), Daniel (assos) Bill (billbo) and Jonathan (chillypenguin).
which used to say
The forums are moderated by customers, namely John (John_Essex), Roger (rogerloxton), James (James_H), Daniel (ass os) Bill (billbo) and Jonathan (chillypenguin).

Since when has a poor little beast of burden been a profanity
pberry
Grafter

Quote from: Paula
It's obviously spawned by jealousy, quite sad really Sad

Usual phenomenon, happens all the time in all fields*: whenever someone gets lucky there's always a plagiarism claim not far away.
What is it they say? "Where there's fame, there's a claim!"
You can bet your life if Facebook never took off then there'd never be a claim against (intellectual) copyright. So it's about the money then... Smiley
*see The Terminator, as but one of countless examples
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

This is an American court so anything can happen, remember the woman how sued McD's because she spilled hot coffee on herself, or the woman that sued a supermarket because she fell over a child that was playing in the aisle, didn't matter that it was her child.
I don't see Facebook shutting down, but as I'm not a fan I wouldn't miss it if it did, but I suspect there's a high chance of some cash changing hands.
Community Veteran

My bad  Embarrassed
As James said, I was setting up the word censor. In the old phpBB software, you had to add wildcards (*) if you wanted to censor a swear word within an acceptable work, ie Scunthope.
But a setting in SMF that I did not spot, meant that it was picking up swear word within acceptable words, hence;  pass, assurance, assos, assumed, etc.
Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: kate
...can you get sued for stealing an idea?

Doesn't the success of that depend on whether you are called Bill Gates or not?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Quote from: dave
This is an American court so anything can happen, remember the woman how sued McD's because she spilled hot coffee on herself,

That's an interesting story.  She sued them, not because she burnt herself, but because they super heated the coffee to an incredible temperature which was entirely unnecessary, so instead of a scalding, she got 2nd degree burns!
James
Grafter

There was a law case over here that quite amused me where a woman sued a pub.  She'd asked for a Yorkie at the bar and the bartender had replied grinning "It's not for girls."
I can't remember the result though :/
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Kelly
That's an interesting story.  She sued them, not because she burnt herself, but because they super heated the coffee to an incredible temperature which was entirely unnecessary, so instead of a scalding, she got 2nd degree burns!

3rd degree burns:
http://www.vanosteen.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
3rd degree burns<snip>

And while we're on the subject, you can't superheat water unless it's pressurised. The milk and sugar allow it to have a greater specific heat capacity than pure water (i have personal experience of this) but still, it's coffee, you should expect it to be hot!
Tamlyn
Grafter

Ah interesting! I have a feeling I actually read about that microwave water thing a while back then promptly forgot about it. thanks.
I think her coffee was around 80 degrees centigrade though and not served in a glass beaker Smiley