cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

FaceTime

Just had a lovely FaceTime call with our daughter in New Zealand on the only Apple product we have...my iPhone 4S.
Been looking around and found there is software for FaceTime for Windows, that comes with warnings it may damage your PC.
Anybody had any experience of using FaceTime on anything else than an Apple product?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: FaceTime

there is no official facetime product for windows, so i would proceed with caution with regard to anything for windows.
facetime officially is an apple device only product.
Community Veteran

Yes, I appreciate that, those that I've seen are at pains to point out their software is not Apple approved.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

There's a plethora of messaging/voip/video calling services that are cross platform,  why limit yourself self to  one that dictates the h/w you use?
Fixes: 125

It's amazing how the quality of connection (audio and/or video) can vary between different programs.
We have found Yahoo Messenger to be rubbish for both audio and video when chatting to SWMBO's family whereas switching to Skype hardly ever gives problems.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I have to admit, FaceTime across two Apple products is absolutely brilliant, makes Skype look amateurish by comparison. Well it does on my Skype anyway.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the old msn messenger was far superior to the current iteration of Skype having said that I wouldn't dream of abusing my pc with any apple product they all install bonjour service and that piece of spyware invariably causes horrendous problems on MS based pc's
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

bonjour is not spyware
nanotm
Pro

yet it will create its own virtual network adaptor direct all traffic through that adaptor and hijack your browser to display ad's from apple ad services. send tracking information to apple and generally do things associated with spyware (its also reported by a lot of security programs as spyware, even though apple has tried unsuccessfully to get this changed) never mind the fact it stealth installs as an addon to a large variety of software packages without user consent as is a PITA to get rid of just like most spyware......
Community Veteran

wow the tin foil hat brigade are out in force today!
as i said, bonjour is not spyware.
bonjour has it's own listing in the "add/remove programs" section in windows, so it's hardly a PITA to remove should you wish to.
and it doesn't get "stealth" installed at all, it's only part of apple applications and it's not hidden.
Community Veteran

Grin Grin
Community Veteran

I think the point nanotm was sort of making is that there are a lot of programs that install "extras".
And If you believe that in every case when you uninstall the main program that all the "extras" go with it then you are being a bit naive.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: chenks76
wow the tin foil hat brigade are out in force today!
as i said, bonjour is not spyware.
bonjour has it's own listing in the "add/remove programs" section in windows, so it's hardly a PITA to remove should you wish to.
and it doesn't get "stealth" installed at all, it's only part of apple applications and it's not hidden.

If you remove bonjour it stops I Tunes working  Grin
When you attempt to open I Tune's you will get a nag screen saying you need to reinstall I Tunes as bonjour is missing.
nanotm
Pro

I have never installed iTunes or any other apple software, I installed Logitech gaming software over the weekend and was treated to several hours of trying to get rid of apple's resource hogging spyware that was according to process monitor accessing every file on my pc one after another utilising 99% of cpu resources and attempting to send that information to apple (i pulled the modem line out of the router being the easiest cable to reach and verified with a separate system via wire shark that it was indeed trying to send everything to a remote server) 
if i was someone who used iTunes or some other horribly restricted spyware laden filth from apple like an iphone or ipad i would expect it to periodically inform the great fruit about everything i was doing on my pc, i don't now nor have i ever had any apple product (hardware or software) on my pc.
i fully accept that there are people out there who like to share every minute detail of there connected life with apple and are happy to do so in exchange for using their products, i might not agree with  them but to each his own ....
Community Veteran

yep definitely large amounts of tin foil being purchased by some people in this thread.