Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face recognition

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Re: Face recognition

@twocvbloke wrote:

Glad I don't bother with farceborg, if I had to I'd just take a picture of my kneecap, if they don't like it then they can take said knee to somewhere sensitive... 😋

WhatsApp is owned by Faecesbook - have you ever allowed anyone to send a photo with it? It only takes a few photos for a fairly complete profile to be built up of associates, presumed common interests, approximate locations etc.

That's without adding any web tracking results.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Never used WhatsApp either, just seemed a bit suspicious that you could freely call & message people with a free app like that...

Only farcebook thing I do use is Instagram, and I rarely if ever take a picture of myself, and even if I do it's usually just the upper half of my mug, usually pulling a face of somesort... 😂

Mook
Rising Star

Giving your identity away for an account on a 💩ty web service, I don't think so.

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

Do you give them your Exif info too?

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@twocvbloke wrote:

Never used WhatsApp either, just seemed a bit suspicious that you could freely call & message people with a free app like that...

People who do use it often seem to be (but not limited to) those who don't understand much about technology.

For instance VoIP calling (which can be used for free calling) has been around far longer than these apps but still many people haven;t heard about it, let alone  know how to set it up.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

How long I wonder before it's illegal to wear a mask of any sort when out in public. Must be driving the Chinese politburo nuts not being able to monitor its citizens at the moment. 

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

Same for "trial run" by the Metropolitan Police.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/24/21079919/facial-recognition-london-cctv-camera-deployment 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

But but but.... the innocent have nothing to fear! 😂

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@VileReynard wrote:

Same for "trial run" by the Metropolitan Police.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/24/21079919/facial-recognition-london-cctv-camera-deployment 

I remember seeing on the TV news a couple of months or so ago a report of a guy who decided to cover his face when approaching an area where the police were standing around either filming or using facial recognition (can't remember which).

As he approached them they ordered him to reveal his face which he refused to do so they grabbed him.  I can't remember if there were any ramifications for either him or the police.

I bet they wouldn't have made a Moslem reveal their face in the same situation.

Edit:  Link    If this is the case I referred to above it appears he was given a £90 fine for a public order offence after telling them to p*** off.

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

I bet the average plod would just arrest you if the computer said yes.

It's what they do with ANPR and cars...

It would be left to you to prove your innocence.

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

@RobPN wrote:

I've never used Bookface, as in opened an account, the main reason being 'too much information'.

As many websites etc. try to get you to register or login using FB (or other social media accounts) which they make more prominent and quicker/easier than other methods, I thought why not open a FB account with false details just for that purpose.

Opening an account with ficticious details including throwaway email address was easy enough, the account seemed to be working OK after verifying the email address, and I thought I was home and dry.

I think it was about 24-hrs later that I went to login to said FB account and there was a blocking message telling me if I wanted to continue I had to submit a facial photo which would be deleted after submission.

Yeah, right, just an excuse to capture personal information.  CYA FB!

(It occurred to me to just submit any old photo from the web but I reasoned they'd do an image web search)

Doesn't matter, they track you all over the web regardless of whether you're even a user or not, or logged in or out etc.etc...

Hence why I block all FB properties/domains at a network level.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah right, so fb are the big bad guys of that track us all over the web.

Well that's really good to know. Actually not really, as everything feeds in on itself so let's not fool ourselves that if we order a bag of sugar online from Tesco the world and his wife along with GCHQ are not able to know all about it.

Maybe they don't and maybe they do, but we'd be foolish to think they couldn't even when using the dark web.

That's my line anyway and as said at the beginning, who gives a 💩

😃

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

Don't forget Google. 💩

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN wrote:

I remember seeing on the TV news a couple of months or so ago a report of a guy who decided to cover his face when approaching an area where the police were standing around either filming or using facial recognition (can't remember which).

I bet they wouldn't have made a Moslem reveal their face in the same situation.

Exactly - but you are oviously xenophobic, a racist and a little Englander leave voting, right wing facist Islamophobe to boot for saying that - but I agree with you so what does that make me ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@wotsup wrote:

so what does that make me ?

A banana?