Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face recognition

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Face recognition

Opened up my Facebook page on my Kindle earlier (I only access from there) and had a full page message from Amazon telling me that my setting for it was turned off and that 'we only use it for you protection' blah blah blah, and 'we would never share it' blah blah blah.

Err, I don't think so. It not only stays off, I also have that little peep hole camera covered with a sticker.

Paranoid maybe, but who gives a 💩

42 REPLIES 42
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Face recognition

I'm sure they'll come up with rectal recognition soon enough... 🤣

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

Possibly, but they all look the same.

agedgopher
Pro

Nah, piles of them are different.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Alexa is a spy, in plain sight and willingly installed in their home by loads of people seeking 'convenience' ( which brings us back to rectal recognition mentioned earlier in thread ).

Community Veteran

"Alexa, wipe my bum!" 🤣

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Indeed and I hear you (as does Amazon) but that's not facial recognition is it - or even faecal recognition as some here are alluding to. 😃

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Bit late to be worrying about facial recognition if you use Facebook and have their app installed on your device....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

How so if as I have done I've turned off the facility and stuck a sticker over the camera lens?

Not a big fan of such things but it's the world we live in. Maybe we should all wear some sort of technological face mask, switch everything off, close the curtains and never step outside of the front door, after all, those *******  cameras are everywhere these days.

Facebook and Amazon are the least of our worries.

Hang on, is that a drone I can hear buzzing overhead.

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Missing the point as usual.

Worrying about privacy implications of FR when you've installed and are actively using commercial spyware is very much closing the barn door after the horse....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

And having a dig as usual and no not missing the point as you put it.

I was not worried about privacy implications, I was only commenting about facial recognition. As for closing this particular barn door well that would be a neat trick. 

I'm well aware that just 'one a click' on the keyboard and it zooms around the globe for eternity and quicker than you can say, well corona virus.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@DaveyH wrote:

very much closing the barn door after the horse....

Well if the horse can't close the barn door somebody has to - it can get awful draughty with that big door open.

Closing the barn door may at least protect the horse from facial recognition, I guess the software would put it firmly in the 'long face' category.

PS wasn't it supposed to be a 'stable door' although I have nothing against  a horse being in a barn..

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

I've never used Bookface, as in opened an account, the main reason being 'too much information'.

As many websites etc. try to get you to register or login using FB (or other social media accounts) which they make more prominent and quicker/easier than other methods, I thought why not open a FB account with false details just for that purpose.

Opening an account with ficticious details including throwaway email address was easy enough, the account seemed to be working OK after verifying the email address, and I thought I was home and dry.

I think it was about 24-hrs later that I went to login to said FB account and there was a blocking message telling me if I wanted to continue I had to submit a facial photo which would be deleted after submission.

Yeah, right, just an excuse to capture personal information.  CYA FB!

(It occurred to me to just submit any old photo from the web but I reasoned they'd do an image web search)

Community Veteran

Glad I don't bother with farceborg, if I had to I'd just take a picture of my kneecap, if they don't like it then they can take said knee to somewhere sensitive... 😋

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

All well and good and I totally agree, but in order to engage with modern technology voluntarily of not then there is a trade off and one that is going to be unequal. 

.... innumerable vultures, it was needful that there should be an animal of prey stronger than the rest, commissioned to keep them down. But as the king of the vultures would be no less bent upon preying on the flock than any of the minor harpies, it was indispensable to be in a perpetual attitude of defence against his beak and claws.

JS Mill.

For king of the vultures read Amazon and Google. 

It's the world we inhabit short of going off to live on a island somewhere north of wherever.